Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to raise resolution settings?

• Please log in to reply

LongIslandPine

LongIslandPine

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I notice alot of monitors today are using 1024 by 768, but I can't seem to get my monitor to function at that level over 60hz refresh rates, so I am stuck using 800x600. My computer is a 2000 Gateway. The original monitor (EV700) broke and I am using a Royal Information X-754. I couldn't get to 1024 by 768 with the old monitor as well. There are options for refresh rates up to 75hz, but I get a "signal error" and the display comes back only after windows brings the old settings back when I don't respond. I've tried the defaul plug and play adapter, doesn't even have options over 60hz in the refresh rates at 1024x768. I even have some RIC drivers as well, can't get it to go over 60hz. This monitor is from 2000, shouldn't it be able to support 1024 by 768 with a refresh rate of 70hz? I know the higher resolution settings are better when viewing photos. Perhaps it has to do with my Intel 82810E graphics controller? I just wonder if there's a tweak I can do to get this monitor to display 1024 by 768. 800x600 is fine for everything else, and that's what I've been using for a long time. But photos look sharper at the higher setting. But I can't stand the flickering at 60hz and below, so I can only use the lower setting.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
In addition to the display settings you have some settings in BIOS setup for your display. Because the different versions of BIOS vary so much I can't say exactly what you can or need to do, but you may need to increase the memory allotted to your display adapter. You tap a key during bootup to get into Setup, usually del, F1 or F2.