Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply

ThunderT

ThunderT

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
I have a strange Windows XP problem when attempting to boot. The computer goes to POST, and then checks out the RAID array as usual and just prior to getting in Windows, the screen goes blank, but the LED on the monitor stays blue indicating a video signal is being sent. There is no HDD activity when this happens. I posted previously several months ago, but the trick I did then hasn't worked thus far (re-setting the BIOS to default settings by moving the jumper and removing the battery temporarily). The computer has been running fine, and the last time it ran properly, I didn't see anything peculiar. Prior to shutting down the system last night, I had successfully defragmented the HDD, and ran Spybot & Ad-Aware earlier in the day. I don't recall having installed any other software recently. I tried to stick in the Windows XP Setup disk, but the screen hangs at "Checking System Information". I'm really stuck at this point it seems. Even if there was something wrong with the HDD, I would think that the Windows Setup Program should run until it tried to look for a place to install Windows.

Specs:

AMD Athlon XP 2400+
MSI KT3 Ultra ARU
1 GB PC-2700
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
2 x 80 GB Western Digital P-ATA in RAID 0
Lite-On DVD-RW
Toshiba DVD-ROM
Antec 430 TruePower
SB Audigy 2 ZS
Intel NIC

Advertisements

Doorslam

Doorslam

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
I would open up that bad boy and make sure all the cables, expecially hdd cables, are secure.

Windows setup program should run fine as it runs off the CD. So...maybe you have a memory issue? If you have multiple sticks of memory, you could always try taking a stick out and then trying to power your computer on.

ThunderT

ThunderT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I agree, that Windows Setup runs off the CD, so it really should work...but the fact is that it doesn't work. I do have 2 sticks of RAM (that have been running since 2002). I guess all I have to try is to run with only 1 stick of RAM. I know the cables are plugged in since BIOS setup is finding all of the drives and FASTRACK is reporting a functional RAID 0 array.