Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Magnifier

• Please log in to reply

chipper

chipper

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I'm on my friend's laptop (HP Omnibook) running Win2000 Pro. The Microsoft Magnifier keeps loading when we start up windoze. Now none of us here are blind or old so have no need of this annoying program. When I try to run msconfig it says "Cannot find the file msconfig (or one of its components)". Please help! Thanks!

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Hi chipper,

For the Magnifier:
Goto Start->Programs->Accessories->Accessiblity->Utility Manager
In the Utility Manager Windows, Click on Magnifier and then uncheck the "Start automatically when I login" option.

For the msconfig problem:
Download the attached msconfig.zip file and unzip it. Double-click on the extracted msconfig.reg file to add it to the registry. Reboot. Try and see if msconfig works.

Attached Files

chipper

chipper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks darth, the magnifier is abated at last! As for the msconfig, no dice.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Hi chipper,

Try the following steps:
Start -> Run
Type: sfc /SCANNOW
Press <enter>.
This will run the the System File Checker, which will look for corrupt\missing system files.

If the System File Checker does'nt find any problems; when you post back can you confirm that his Windows is installed in c:\windows and not in some other folder.