Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wireless dropout when log in as another user

• Please log in to reply

dazza1234

dazza1234

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Belkin 54g ADSL Modem router (Model P57504uk) and access it from a Fujitu laptop with XPsp2, Intel PROSet/wireless card. It's set up with WPA-PSK/TKIP security. It works perfectly at full 54 Mbps speed if I'm logged in on my laptop as the original user who set it up.

But if I log in as a different user on the laptop and set that user up to access the wireless with exactly the same configuration, it connects perfectly but then dies and reconnects every 15 seconds or so. This happens for any other user both with and without admin rights. I assume the 15 second cycle is related to the rekey interval for WPA. It also happens if I set up another computer using the Belkin card I bought with the router, although the same computer will work perfectly using its own internal wireless card.

It tells me it's lost the network connection (repeatedly, every 15 seconds!), but I'm right next to the router, and of course, it works perfectly if I'm logged in as the particular user.

In the Wireless Event viewer log it's giving the message "EOUCONFIG: GetOid for scanlist failed" about which I can find nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
http://wl500g.info/s...read.php?p=9661 this is suggesting specific firmware revisions and drivers for both motherboard and your intell proset stuff...and was found just searching eouconfig

the only things i get for GetOid are references to either sql code or java code..

just searching scanlist failed...comes up with bubkis

dazza1234

dazza1234

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
OK, I fixed it. Thanks, dsenette, for taking the time to try and help but the solution was very simple. I forgot to add to my original post that I had already installed the latest drivers. As an aside, it is interesting how the general solution to almost all wireless networking problems seems to be to download the latest drivers. That says something about the dubious quality of what has been released earlier.

The problem was caused by using the XP "Switch Users" option instead of logging off the first user completely and then logging in again as the new user. It's obvious--with hindsight--that both users would then be competing to use the wireless encryption and the first one would always win.

I suspect the problem with the Belkin wireless card is something else but I have written off that piece of useless hardware anyway.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
yeah...that sollution does make sense...glad you figured it out