Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changing ME to XP

• Please log in to reply

eddiev

eddiev

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi,

I currently have ME Windows system on my computer and have new XP CD-rom to install in place of ME. How do I install XP without losing files from ME (ie "My Computer", Desktop files, etc)?

Thanks
eddie

Advertisements

loxs

loxs

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I could be wrong and you better check me on this: If it's an upgrade CD it may leave your files but I doubt it.

If it's a full version CD:
You could burn everything to disk if you have a burner... If not, I would spring the 50 bucks to get one eventually.

You could download a partition re-sizer/shrinker and shrink your existing partition enough to make a small partition at the end of your drive. When you reboot windows, this drive will be named D:\ and your cdrom will be E:\ and so on...... Move all your important files to D:\ before you do the XP install. Follow the on-screen instructions carefully to be sure not to overwrite D:\ during your install.

loxs

Edited by loxs, 10 November 2005 - 10:44 AM.

eddiev

eddiev

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi Loxs,

Thanks for your reply. I'll follow your instructions and let you know how things went by Monday.

Have a great weekend!

eddie