Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

COD2 install problems

• Please log in to reply

GazzaT73

GazzaT73

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey, I really hope someone can help me out with this as its been driving me mad! Every time I try to intall COD2 nothing happens. I put the DVD into my drive (it says its the following: HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8160B) and it makes a horrible noise, like it wants to load the disk but can't. The little CD image pops up at bottom of mouse pointer for a second then disapears an this will continue as long as I leave the DVD in the drive and the busy light on the front of the drive stays on. If I then go into my computer and either double click or right click on the DVD drive icon the my computer window just freezes and stops responding while the mouse just shows an egg timer on it.

I know its not something silly like the installer recognising that I don't have the minimum specs on my pc to run the game as I have had the demo on and that ran fine. All other CDs and DVDs run fine, both films, games and audio except for battlefront 2 which I also had a problem with, although on a very rare occasion after trying to load for a couple of mins the disk suddenly started spinning normally and let me access its contents and im sure this is therefore a similar problem to do with how the disks are (i know on the back of COD2 it does actually say that the copy prevention technology may conflict with dome disk drives). I just don't want to have to keep trying for 30mins or so to get the disk to load each time I want to play on the games.

After reading through other posts for suggestions I tried running everest to find the home page for the manufacturs of the drive for any updates and all that does is take me to a blank page with done written on and from what i've gathered whilst looking on the internet for information on the drive is that there are no firmware updats for the drive.

I'm hoping that someone on here has had a similar problem and that they may be able to help! Thanks

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello GazzaT73 and welcome to Geeks to go!

I had the same DVD drive a while ago and it wouldn't read the Far Cry DVD, well it did once but that was the only time it ever did.
I checked for firmware updates as well and i'm sorry to say there just isn't any. In the end I ended up just replacing the drive.

First I would try getting a replacement copy of the game just in case!

Edited by ZEUS_GB, 10 November 2005 - 05:01 AM.

GazzaT73

GazzaT73

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Whoops, sorry I forgot to say with the Battlfield2 DVD I actually did try another disk and that did exactly the same so im guessing its just the drive then. Oh well, looks like a new drive for me (Guess its the final push I need for getting a DVD drive i've been debating getting). Thanks for the reply though!

Captain KMAC

Captain KMAC

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have COD2 install issues. Brand new (1 day) Dell XPS 600 loaded with the works and it won't recognize the cd/install. The cd is fine (installs on other drives) and the cd drive works as well (hitachi 48x32x). any ideas? do i have to buy a cd/dvd drive on a brand new pc just to play cod2? any help would be appreciated.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello Captain KMAC and welcome to Geeks to go!

You might want to try a firmware update or changing the transfer mode of the drive to PIO only to see if that helps.
You might also want to consider contacting Dell as the PC is only 2 days old.

Captain KMAC

Captain KMAC

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Solved my problem. The game requires a dvd drive not cd/rw. Embarassing mistake!