Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

All games quit to desktop

• Please log in to reply

Lyon

Lyon

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I moved house about 2 months ago, before then I hadn't gotten much gaming in for a while, but when I did I remember it being fine. Now ive moved out ive got more time and ive been trying to get some more gaming in. Only now all of my games crash without question. After anywhere from 5 to 20 mins of playing my games quit to desktop, no error just a quick quit. I have 768 mb ddr ram, I used to have 512 not so long ago, I added another stick which wasnt the same brand (was the same speed), ive had a slight upgrade from a AMD athlon 1800 to a amd athlon 2000, added a dvd drive, and replaced the PSU, these happend in the last few months, but I never noticed any problems directly after installing. Sometimes when I boot up, I get a message along the lines of "Windows has recovered from a serious issue....". These are the only things I can think of that might be a factor. Oh, just remembered another, I remember having to install the latest version of Direct X with a demo I got a while ago, and again with another game, both times I remember having problems installing. The games would install normally, then direct x installion would open and it would take about 40 minutes to install, once or twice I had to restart the installation after an error. But I remember playing the games after that and not having this problem.

Im not sure if anyone can help me, or even has the slightest clue whats wrong, but I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

Examples of the games im trying to run:
Americas Army
Half Life 2
Counter Strike Source
GTA San Andreas
Joint Operations
Vietcong
Brothers in Arms

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I would start by uninstalling dx9 from add remove programs under control panel ( you may have to check the box at the top to show updates). then I would go to microsoft.com and download dx9.0c and install it.