Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

re-installing windows 98 without losing data?

• Please log in to reply

sinclaird

sinclaird

• Pip
  • 2 posts
After trying to remove an unwanted spyware application, my windows 98 pc crashed. On reboot, it produced a "windows seup" screen. I used a startup floppy to get into DOS, to make sure all my files were present on the hard drive - and they appeared to be OK. If I reload windows from the startup floppy and then follow the setup process on the windows 98 cd, will my data files - my documents, other folders in the C directory, etc -be ok? Does running a new setup from the windows 98 cd just load new files into the "windows" directory and leave all other files as they are? I appreciate any help at all, please, as I am a relative novice!! Thanks!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi sinclaird...Welcome to G2G!

The procedure for doing a reinstall without losing data is a little more involved thatn just running an "overlay" installation. The instructions can be found HERE.

wannabe1

sinclaird

sinclaird

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
wannabe - thank you! I will follow the instructions as provided.