Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot open control panel in ME

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Man! This one has really got me scrounging..... :tazz:

Download Tray Commander and install it.

It is going to place an icon in the system tray. Right click the icon and select "Options". Under the "Control" tab, select "Open Control Panel item" and click the "Add" button. In the drop down menu, select "Add or Remove Programs" and click "Ok".

Now right click on the system tray icon and click on "Add or Remove Programs"...does it open?

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 11 November 2005 - 08:23 PM.

Advertisements

super5

super5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I have never had this many problems with just one box. I installed the program, then when I clicked on "open control panel item" then I clicked the add button, then in the properties window the despcription was dial-up networking. Then when I looked at the drop down menu all I found was the following:
dial-up networking
scanners and cameras
scheduled tasks
folder options
taskbar and start menu
There was no add and remove programs.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sweet! :) The fun just never ends at G2G! Let's try a little registry tweaking...

Click Start then Run and type regedit. In the left pane, expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then Software, then Microsoft, then Windows, then CurrentVersion, then Policies, and click on Explorer (if present...see below if absent). In the right pane, the value for NoControlPanel (dword) should be 00000000.

Click Start then Run and type regedit. In the left pane, expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then Software, then Microsoft, then Windows, then CurrentVersion, then Policies, and click on Explorer (if present...see below if absent). In the right pane, the value for NoControlPanel (dword) should be 00000000.

If Absent...We'll need to create the missing key and subkey and the set it's value.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies, right click on "Policies" and point to "New"...select "Key" and type Explorer. Right click in the right pane and click "New", then type NoControlPanel. Click outside the name box and then right click on the new subkey and select "Modify". In the Value Data box, type 00000000, click "Ok" and exit Registry Editor.

Repeat this for HKEY_CURRENT_USER (same value)

Reboot and try Control Panel....again... :tazz:

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 11 November 2005 - 10:18 PM.

super5

super5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
ok buddy :tazz: Thanks so much for your help. I will get on this right away.

super5

super5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
ok, explorer was not found when using the instructions in your 1st paragraph.

I found explorer with the instuctions in the second paragraph. with explorer high lighted in the left pane, the right pane read as follows:
(default) (valuenot set)
CDautorun 00 00 00 00
NoDriveTypeAuto 95 00 00 00

super5

super5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Do I go ahead with the instuctions in the last paragraph now? Just want to make sure. I am getting excited, is that normal.LMAO

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...you'll need to create a subkey there.

Right click in the right pane and select "New", then click "String Value" and type NoControlPanel. Double click the new subkey and type 00000000. Click "Ok" and move ahead to the next paragraph.

Just so you know...this may not help the way I hope it does...you just never know :tazz:

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 11 November 2005 - 10:33 PM.

super5

super5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
should there be a space between each set of 00's

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
No...just type 00000000 (8 0's)

loxs

loxs

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Somethin' cool is gonna happen this time, I can just feel it :tazz:

Backtrack;

Wannabe1,
Which files were you trying to get from c:\windows\options\cabs or .\install ? Because I just checked those dirs on mine and they're empty too.
Maybe the files you need are in .\windows\system..............

Loxs

Edited by loxs, 11 November 2005 - 11:01 PM.

Advertisements

super5

super5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
well sh$t, nothing again, got the message "windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access"

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
super5...

Have any of the experts in Malware replied to your log yet? I think we're to the point where we need for them to get the machine cleaned up before trying anything else. Something is stopping us at every turn and it just may be one of the nasties I spotted in the log.

wannabe1

super5

super5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I checked this AM and nobody had responded yet. I could not believe how busy your forum is, I was amazed, yesterday when two days when I posted the log, I was on page one. Last night when I checked I was on page 8. How do you guys keep up?

I put Norton professional in the box and thought I would see what files had been deleted, was looking for that rundll32.exe file or anything else that looked helpful, after sorting thru 29,000 files, it was not there. I had a weak moment last night, I put the recover disk in the drive, and the box didn't like it either. LOL THANKS!!! for all your patience.

super5

super5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Wannabe, do we wait for the guys to view that HJT log? OR is it (thelog) that ba? lol

super

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Howdy super5...

Post a link to your log here for me, and I'll see if I can talk one of the Malware folks to "fast track" it for us. There are some issues in there and, with the results we have been having, I want to make sure it is not the malware that is stopping us dead in our tracks. :tazz:

wannabe1