Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

slooooow internet

• Please log in to reply

gub

gub

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey- not sure if I'm in the right forum for this question, but over the last couple of days my ability to surf the net has slowed dramatically. It takes forever to load a page. My computer always seems to be thinking (light blinking) and I'm thinking that whatever is running in the backround is dragging me down. How can I check to see whats going on? I've run clean-up, ad-aware, and ewido which hasnt helped. I have a dsl connection. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

chirp

chirp

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
Thoes programs are great and I'd actually say they delete 95% of malware, just to make sure there is no more malware I would suggest posting a hijack this log in the Malware Forum... If your log is clean then post back in here and we will futher try to help you

-Chirp

Edited by chirp, 09 November 2005 - 07:20 PM.

gub

gub

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the help. It ended up being a problem with the telephone cord for my dsl connection. Because of the distance I needed to span to get to the phone jack, I substituted an extra long standard phone line instead of the special thick phone cord they supplied. Who knew that it would degrade my signal and slow me down so much? Switched it to their cord and the speed has been back to normal.

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
make sure you empty your internet cache and defrag regularly as well.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Thanks for the help. It ended up being a problem with the telephone cord for my dsl connection. Because of the distance I needed to span to get to the phone jack, I substituted an extra long standard phone line instead of the special thick phone cord they supplied. Who knew that it would degrade my signal and slow me down so much? Switched it to their cord and the speed has been back to normal.

Normal telephone extension cable is not designed to carry a DSL signal, hence the problems you had. It may work, it may not, no guarantees.
If you need a longer cable, you should really buy one designed for DSL signals.