Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstall Audio Compression?

• Please log in to reply

squiggles21

squiggles21

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi,

I am running Windows 98SE .

Can anyone tell me how to reinstall audio compression? My sound is working but when I go to use, for example, my Microsoft Money program it is not able to use the Money sounds. It says that the sound files may be corrupt, but I checked the hard drive and they are there and when you click on them they work. If I go to change the sounds in Microsoft Money to the Money sounds it says that I need to reinstall audio compression.

It tells me to reinstall it in add/remove programs in control panel but I do not see anything there that says audio compression.

I also noticed that when I went to use yahoo messenger, it now says my computer does not have the right audio compression set up. I know it worked up to about a week ago, so something must have happened. I reinstalled yahoo messenger but still says the same thing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ira

Advertisements

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Hi Squiggles21,

Is this link of any use? http://support.micro...com/kb/q141801/

also:

If you goto Control Panel > System > Device Manager and click the + next to Sound Video and Game Controlers are there any yellow exclamation marks ?

squiggles21

squiggles21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
There are no yellow explamation marks. Not really sure what to do with the article. As since my sound is working now I really don't want to uninstall anything and ruin what I have now.

Any other suggestions?

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Have you solved the audio compression problem?

If not you go to control panel and add/remove programs like stated earlier....

However a few steps may have been left out.... once at the add/remove screen look at the top for windows setup. select that... when the next page loads ( it scans to see what is already installed ) then select multimedia by clicking on the name not on the check before it. Then look for audio compression and put the check in front of it. IF it is checked ... uncheck it then apply at the bottom. restart the computer and go back and recheck it. and click apply.... then I would restart again and then see if every thing works.

squiggles21

squiggles21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks for the info, but yes I did finally get it to work. I figured out most of the steps that you stated, but I actually had to go back to my windows disk and installed the microsoft audio compression codecs again as some seemed to have been deleted. Then when I rebooted again everything came back on.

It took a while of some hunting around for things to do but I got it working for the moment at least.

Thanks for answering though.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Glad to hear you got it working .... Yes I should have mentioned you'd need you instll files ( either on cd or other media ) to do this as that is part of windows...