Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Data Recov.

• Please log in to reply

Ryukishen

Ryukishen

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have a drive that worked until recently. It won't spin up and when I had a physical look at it I figured out the reason. The drive is an IBM-371010 drive and if you look at a few screenshots of it the 4 copper wires (I believe they are power) there is a white thing at the end that connects the copper wires to the circuit board. That white thing popped off. My friend tried soldering it back to the board but only 1 of the 4 soldering points worked so we had to remove that. Anyone got any ideas as to how to get the data recovered? I've heard that the internal's of a hard drive are vacuum sealed so air doesn't get in, there is not dust inside and there probably never will be until you pop it open so I doubt we'd be able to switch magenetic disks with another 10 gig drive. I thought about soldering the points to the circuit board but if that doesn't work then we've [bleep]ed over the drive so I'm currently open to suggestions before trying it.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If the metal pins are still there just go to Radio Shack or another electronics store and get some small clip leads. They can be connected to one of the larger drive connectors, the color of the wire indicate the voltage. thata should be good enought to get your date off, or even to copy your operating system over to another drive.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can usually get the circuit board section of the drive replaced, either buy one and put it on yourself or get a shop to do it. Its often easier to start over than it is to try and fix them. The only hard part can be getting the circuit board for the particular drive, if you cant get the board cause its too old buy a drive off ebay if you can and just take it off that.

Ryukishen

Ryukishen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks tyger,
I'll see about getting the connectors from radio shack or any other electronics store. The drive is just a storage drive so it only has data, no OS.

warriorscot,
I've tried that. Ebay sells the old drive for $140 and Geek Squad will do it for $249. I'm thinking it's better off just forgetting about the data on it if I have to resort to ebay or geek squad.

Edited by Ryukishen, 10 November 2005 - 09:50 PM.