Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM

• Please log in to reply

Absent

Absent

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
WIll it matter if i use SD ram in a DDR motherboard? are motherboards specific to RAM types? or are they universal where you can use any type?

Advertisements

Ryukishen

Ryukishen

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
As far as I know they are not universal. First of all I believe they have a different ammount of pins. I could be wrong on it though so don't take my word on it. DDR ram operates much faster than SDram though so if you have a DDR motherboard you're going to undoubtably fry the SDram and if you have DDRam on an SDram motherboard DDRram is going to have to go slower than it can go so there will be a conflict of some sort between there.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
for sure you will not be able to mix types, you cant even mix different speeds of ddr let alone different types. i believe sdram is only made in simm boards and 168-pin dimm boards. all ddr ram is made in 184-pin dimm boards (i think) outside of rimm's.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
to find out exactly what ram you need go to www.crucial.com and put in your motherboard make and model, it iwll tell you all forms of ram compatible with your motherboard...and they will give you a good price

Absent

Absent

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
thanks