Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer not recognizing new CPU

• Please log in to reply

Zarkahn

Zarkahn

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Windows XP
Gigabyte GA-7VAX 333FSB

I just installed a gig of RAM as well. It works fine though. I've checked and this mobo supports DDR400 (PC3200), so thats what I put in.

I also installed a new AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Barton Core CPU (2.17). I've checked and thats the highest this mobo supports. But, It is being recognized as my old CPU (an athlon xp 1500+ 1.3). I updated the BIOS before all this. Getting support for this exact processor. Did I need to do somthing with the jumpers?

Thankyou,

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
pease explain, WHAT is not recognizing the new cpu.

run dxdiag (you should have the util if you have windows xp) , that will bring up the directx diagnostic tool, just stay on the main tab for a little while while it checks your system. that should tell you your exact cpu speed. now if that still says the slower speed, go back into the bios and search for a setting to set the speed. thats all i can think of.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You may need to go into the BIOS and set the Front Bus Speed (FSB). Some boards need you to set the multiplier as well.

Most boards default 100FSB by default, some sort themselves out automatically, others leave you to do it.

An alarming number of boards now are leaving these two crucial settings to the end-user, who may not know how to change them never mind what to change them to. Not good, as you can potentially kill the processor.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yea you need to set a jumper on the board the jumper is labled SW1. This is actually a dip switch not a jumper set #1 to the off position and #2 to the on position. This will set the fsb to run at 166 mhz and enable the cpu to run at its rated speed of 333mhz or 2.1G.

Rick

Zarkahn

Zarkahn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I even used SANDRA and it still said it there (for those of you that are still confused, my new 3000+ 2.17 gig CPU still thinks its a 1.31). I've been all over the bios looking for a speed setting. Also, looked all over the net for jumper settings. Im now going to try what you suggested Doby. But, im not understanding how it would work. Theres a list on my motherboard about the 6 jumper switches. You can set the switches to equal settings from:

5x
5.5x
6x

all the way up to 18x

I read somewhere that 13x was for 333mhz but that didnt work ethier. I will now try what you suggested.***

thankyou,

***Still no luck, unless you where talking about a different set of jumpers from what I just described.
Though i've been over the bios many a time, I did find that I can change the clock frequency. my options are entering the in the decimal key of MIN: 100 - MAX: 132. As in I have to manually enter in the numbers. As of now its set at 100. Got any idea what this means?

Edited by Zarkahn, 11 November 2005 - 08:59 AM.

Zarkahn

Zarkahn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Alright guys, its all good.
A buddy of mine came over, fliped a switch and all is well.

thanks anyway.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yep bet it was switch SW1 the other dip switch you were trying to set was for the multiplyer and your processor does not allow you to change that.

Rick