Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

backing up files [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

simonphw

simonphw

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello all

I am new to the forum so hello to you all.
The problem.
My flatmate has a very infected pc which she asked me too look at and I discovered through spy bot that she had...6222 problems.

So after a good few hours of trying to fix the problems spybot told me that not all problems are fixed and I had to restart, so I did and it still found problems. Then after looking on tinternet I discovered that there was the wwwcoolsearch, Trek Blue Error Nuker and various others on the pc.
I tried a couple of other malware programs but the problem was still there.So I did more looking then discovered this forum and realised that a lot of people had this problem and that it could be fixed.

I had a look a at the post (You Must Read This before Posting a Hijackthis Log, Required steps before posting your log) and downloaded all the programs that was recommended.
My flatmate has a lot of her work on this pc and needs to back it up before I start trying to fix it, which brings me to my question.

Will the files that I back up to disc be infected?

Sorry if this is a obvious question but I have a few years experience using computers but have never had to deal with something like this as my own computer is protected and I’m very careful when I’m on the internet.

Any help would be fantastic.

Thanks

Simon

Advertisements

Armodeluxe

Armodeluxe

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,744 posts
Hi Simon,

There's no telling whether any files she wants to back up would be infected or not, that would depend on the kind of infections she has..

Before backing up, you could submit the files for analysis here:

http://virusscan.jotti.org/

What else I would suggest is, to run an online scan like Kaspersky which just scans but does not remove anything. Then in the log you could see whether the files you want to back up are infected:

Please do an online scan with Kaspersky WebScanner

Click on Kaspersky Online Scanner

You will be promted to install an ActiveX component from Kaspersky, Click Yes.
  • The program will launch and then begin downloading the latest definition files:
  • Once the files have been downloaded click on NEXT
  • Now click on Scan Settings
  • In the scan settings make sure that the following are selected:
    • Scan using the following Anti-Virus database:
    Extended (if available otherwise Standard)
    • Scan Options:
    Scan Archives
    Scan Mail Bases
  • Click OK
  • Now under select a target to scan:Select My Computer
  • This program will start and scan your system.
  • The scan will take a while so be patient and let it run.
  • Once the scan is complete it will display if your system has been infected.
    • Now click on the Save as Text button:
  • Save the file to your desktop.
  • Copy and paste that information in your next post.
Please post a HijackThis log into this topic and let's start the cleaning process. If you run the Kaspersky scan, post those results as well.

Armodeluxe

Armodeluxe

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,744 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.