Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

why didn't I get an install cd with my comp?

• Please log in to reply

FeelingMinnesota

FeelingMinnesota

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
It's windows 2000 on an ibm laptop. I got it as a gift and when my father recieved the comp it didn't come with anything except the power chord. I could be in trouble if I have problems.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
yes you deffinitely could...unfortunately there are many companies who still refuse to even give you a recovery disk....if your father can get in touch with the company he purchased it from...he can try to request either the oem windows cd...or at least a system recovery disk....also...some laptops are built with a recovery partition on the hard drive....which basically has that recovery disk on the machine....usually these computers have a system recovery option either somewhere in bios or in the O/S itself

FeelingMinnesota

FeelingMinnesota

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I'd see 2 hard drives in My Computer if there was a partition correct?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
not neccessarily...that revocery partition is usually marked as inactive and is invisible to you unless you monkey with it..

dpends

dpends

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
I ran into a similar problem recently (no cd for WinXp ergo no CD License). The end result was I contacted Microsoft and explained the problem. (I had by this point been infected with a virus and needed help here part of which was updating windows and could not because of no cd license). They asked if I still had the original bill for the software (did) and supplied them with info from the bill and the dealer. They gave me a new cd license on line and sent it to me over the internet as backup. Big bad Microsoft wasnt either bad. It is worth a try.

FeelingMinnesota

FeelingMinnesota

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I'm having the old grey haired man send me all paperwork and reciepts for the computer now. In fact, it should be in the mail as I type.