Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow downloads of files, or can't d/l at all

• Please log in to reply

dwillms

dwillms

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,

I am just posting here about my work computer, which runs Win98 SE. It's about a Celeron 500, 256 MB RAM. I've run AdAware and eliminated all the spyware from it, and the computer itself runs acceptably, no noticeable slowdown or anything.

My problem is simply with web browsing and downloading. Lately, I've noticed that loading pages 'seems' to be getting slower, hence why I scanned with AdAware. I decided to try to download the newest version, and I can't even seem to get more than 50 KB of the file downloaded. I've also noticed loading any pictures or larger pages take EXTREMELY long to download, like 3-5 minutes for a 800x600 image on DSL.

I've tried different sites to download from, different files, and I can't get anything to work. I can't download more than 1.5 MB of the 5.2 MB of files from the Windows Update site that I try, I can't download Spybot, an AdAware update, or any other scan programs.

I work in an office with 2 other computers, and both can download full copies of the latest AdAware, and both *seem* to browse and load pictures faster.

As I work in a networked office with a work computer, there is obviously only so much I can try, but with the situation being that I can load web files but not quickly, it seems to me it is more a computer problem than a network or firewall problem. There is no apparent Norton or McAfee firewall running on this computer either.

I'd appreciate any help, thanks!
-Dustin

Advertisements

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Cleared history/cleaned out temporary internet files etc?

dwillms

dwillms

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Did this already, also changed my Internet security level in Options from custom to a medium level, and still no change. I do have the latest IE6 also.

-Dustni

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Have you run System File Checker and the Registry Scan? Restart in ms-dos mode, type in

scanreg /restore

hit Enter. Scanreg will ask you to choose a registry backup file to restore from. After scanreg runs reboot in Normal mode.

Go to Start>Run, type in sfc, click OK. If neither of these work you might want to try Winsock Fix.

dwillms

dwillms

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, I tried the following:

Registry Scanner -> Any registry backup I chose couldn't load.

System File Checker -> Replaced setupx.dll

Winsock Fix -> Completed this also

And after this I cleaned out my Temp. Internet Files again, and I'm still experiencing the same problem. Even a webpage that takes 18 seconds to load on my system takes 4-5 seconds on the other systems in the office, both of which have similar hardware, RAM, and running Win98 also. :tazz:

-Dustin

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You've confirmed a suspicion of mine, that one win98 disk has an error for the setupdx file that make it look corrupt and reloads it.

Right click on Network Neighborhood and choose Properties, highlight the tcp/ip entry and open Properties for it. Click the Gateway tab and make sure the address of the router you're using is entered as the gateway.

Is it possible someone may have limited your speed in the router settings?

dwillms

dwillms

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I can't really check my router address, since I have no idea of the one I should be using.

As far as limiting speed, I know that at one time in the past 3-4 months I was downloading pictures and files fine. I downloaded MSN Messenger, which is a 5 MB(?) file, and installed/uninstalled it fine at one point. Other than that, the only thing I've saved on that computer is a few pictures I've pulled from online. The only other thing that comes to mind is that I've fully updated the computer with Windows Update, so could some of those updates perhaps be giving me the problems?

We use an online database entry program, and even it is noticeably slower in loading than the 2 other office computers using the same program. I feel fairly knowledgeable with computers, but this one is getting me stumped.

-Dustin

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

I can't really check my router address, since I have no idea of the one I should be using.

As far as limiting speed, I know that at one time in the past 3-4 months I was downloading pictures and files fine. I downloaded MSN Messenger, which is a 5 MB(?) file, and installed/uninstalled it fine at one point. Other than that, the only thing I've saved on that computer is a few pictures I've pulled from online. The only other thing that comes to mind is that I've fully updated the computer with Windows Update, so could some of those updates perhaps be giving me the problems?

We use an online database entry program, and even it is noticeably slower in loading than the 2 other office computers using the same program. I feel fairly knowledgeable with computers, but this one is getting me stumped.

-Dustin

Did you look in the tcp/ip properties and see if an address was entered at all? What king of router are you linked to? Your machine needs to know the router proxy address to connect with it consistently. The router also has settings that affect your downloading.