Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

media player problem

• Please log in to reply

gambino

gambino

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
hello,

when i try to play music i keep getting this message:

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly.

my speakers were working a couple of days ago but for some reason recently i keep getting the message. Could someone plz help me

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Do your speakers work in other programs?

gambino

gambino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
thanks 4 the reply

yeah they do

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Restart the computer, and before you do anything, try to use Media Player to play a song. Let me know if it works. If it does, then there must be a program that was occupying the sound card when you were trying to play music. We'll have to figure out what's doing that.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 10 November 2005 - 02:27 PM.

Shadow Tech

Shadow Tech

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Did you reformat the computer before? Its most likely its your driver or windows media is on mute. Please reply with an answer.

~ Shadow Tech