Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screens a coincidence?

• Please log in to reply

visperas

visperas

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Having a desktop at home that suddenly had two unanticipated blue screens of death was of relative concern to me at one point, but I didn't think much of the issue until just today. Normally it happens, and either a repair/reinstall takes care of the issue no problem (I've worked in tech support and frankly XP is the most wonderously stable OS I've seen yet). Last night a panicked classmate called me about a blue screen of death that she had never experienced before, but I gave her the same assurances that it might be nothing, but to definitely back up her essential files just in case. Today though, I logged my laptop onto the internet (a once a week occurance when I'm on campus) and then noticed that it wished to install a windows update before shutting down. Not one to argue with updates, I allowed it to update and shut down. Not more than a half hour later as I was reviewing video files for a conversational group I direct here at this university, a blue screen of death popped up on my screen when the only indication as to the error (although I cannot recall the exact details of the error, I KNOW that it's the exact same error as what appeared twice on my desktop) was that I had just recently installed a windows update.

Has anyone else had these blue screens of death VERY recently? I am actually under the impression that this may be at the fault of microsoft update.

Advertisements

headwayne

headwayne

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
This is the reason I do not have automatic updates. I go to the update site weekly and that way I know it is legit and what to look for when something goes wrong.
there are lovely people sending all sorts of things made to look like the real thing.
sorry about your problem. went through a nightmare myself this summer and you are at the right place for help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you can somehow coax the error to occur again...and post the full error...that would be the most helpful...you can also disable the autorestart option in xp...that way the bluscreen should show up on boot...

visperas

visperas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Here we go, error number 4 finally get's written down...

1st time) Desktop: browsing internet with Firefox (upon restarting all bookmarks were lost)
2nd time) Destktop: trying to close a program called teamspeak (upon restarting all server lists were lost)
3rd time) Laptop: Just after having done a windows update while watching short video clips on windows media player
4th time) Desktop when I was playing Counter Strike: Source
Error Code:
***Stop: 0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0x80504AD7, 0xF10CE970, 0x00000000)

visperas

visperas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
*bump*

Any ideas?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi visperas...

Have a look at this Microsoft Article. Does it seem to apply to your situatiion?

wannabe1

visperas

visperas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Nope, every single time it has applied to systems that have power maneagement disabled. All the stop codes have popped up in the middle of active use of the system.

As another note, another Stop code came up on my desktop with a completely different set of errors, except almost all of them were the 0x00000000 lines with one at the end that I didn't save, yet I am sure to be a completely different error from the last ones. It didnt have a single zero in it beyond the x, but I don't know why I didn't save the code this time. Again it happened when playing a video game, yet reinstalling the video drivers doesnt seem to help. I'm not one to just flush the old drivers from the registry for no reason, but I don't believe this to be connected to the video drivers because of the four instances, only two of them have involved high intensity graphics while the other two were browsers, and a basic teamspeak program by itself.

Edited by visperas, 16 November 2005 - 05:57 AM.

visperas

visperas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Now that I'm on my desktop and I just fired it up to come to a blue screen with a 0x0000008E message, that might have some rason behind it, but didnt microsoft claim to have solved that issue?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://support.micro...b;EN-US;Q315335

that's their rulling on that one....

microsoft claims to have fixed alot of things