Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Ugrading from intel P4 to AMD 64 bit

• Please log in to reply

koniord

koniord

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hallo GTG!

New components due to arrive tomorrow:
1)AMD (Venice) Athlon 64Bit 3200+ Socket 939pin 512k L2cache 90nm Retail Boxed Processor
2)Asus 8V deluxe VIA K8T800Pro AMD socket 939

Used until now and partly broken:
1)intel pentium 4 2.6
2)chaintech zenith 9ctjs (killed it accidently!!)

Do i need to reinstall windows? (xp pro)
A friend of mine who upgraded to something like that had to. I just heard it. The components were not exactly the same but the P4 to AMD 64 bit part is.

I'm using the pc for music production and for that reason i had to go the dual boot way at the time to avoid internet -as well as all other non music progs and applications- and to change a lot of windows settings etc on the music partition.
I have so many things working on my OS (3*outboard firewire and usb devices-daisy chainned to another 4, 5*dsp cards, X*software) that it would take me a week to reconfigure properly. It's a nightmare to set up from scratch with the conflicts and the caprices these things have.

Now with this new twist (high possibility of having to reinstall the OS) i'm afraid that i might even loose important data and that is not an option at the moment. Mostly that (to loose data)

I use 3 hard disks (just mentioning, as it might raise more problems/solutions) and ... only 1 of them runs windows, 1 installation for each partition (run with partition/boot magic). Naturally, that's the one that contains the data i'm concerned about. The others will have nothing to do with the hole proccess. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

What would you recommend?
If there's any way to avoid this format please... help,
If not, would another pc read my OS hard disk's both partitions (to copy stuff i need) if plugged in as ''guest'' or will i need to perform some ancient art in order to get what i want?

Please excuse my English and SSSSTUpiDiTy, i'm in trouble! and time ain't on my side.

Thank you very much,
koniord

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

If you are putting in a used hdd (already has XP on it), then, you will have to run the Repair option as a minimum..

Murray

koniord

koniord

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Thank you Murrey for your prompt reply!
It's very comforting at this point.

You used the phrase ''as a minimum...''
Would you care to explain a bit more because from what i've heard there is a possibility that the repair option might not work as it should.

Kind regards,
Koniord

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
The repair option should work.. You need to let XP find the new hardware and drivers for your new mobo or you will never get started up again (XP will error out or won't even boot)..

I say minimum because I really don't think you want to format and re-install right??

Murray

koniord

koniord

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
That'a great news Murray,

Let me just ask you 1 last thing.
At some point i'll get a hard disk (Western Digital Raptor 10000RPM 36.7GB 8MB SATA) for the music applications in order to have a dual boot system (meaning 2 operating systems, one hidden when the other active) with seperate hard disks and not a partitioned one.
How would i copy the contents of the music partition to the new hard disk (including windows and the hole set up?
I guess I'll have to create an image of the music partition but i don't know the procedure.

Multi-thanks,
koniord

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Once you have the new hard-drive installed and formatted so Windows recognizes it, all you need to do is "copy and paste" your music files to the new drive.. No need to image anything..

Murray

koniord

koniord

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I'm very sorry to bother you with my little knowledge over these matters Murray but i'm not sure i've explained correctly.

I will have 4 hdds as follows:

1) 1 hdd will run windows and internet as well as some progs irrelevant with music etc.

2) 1 (the new) hdd will run windows and all my music applications and nothing else.

3) 1 hdd for sample libraries

4) 1 hdd only to store and playback recorded audio

This is a typical setup for music applications.
The only difference with the current setup is that 1) and 2) run in 1 hdd with two partitions.

What i want to avoid again is optimizing windows for audio and reconfiguring the hole set up.
In other words, i want to have the new hdd working exactly like my current music partition without having to install windows or anything on it.
That is why i suggested imaging.

Edited by koniord, 11 November 2005 - 11:01 AM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Then, you will need a third-party program which will cost you..

Some hard-drives will come with a "tansfer utlility" that will allow you to "image/copy" one hdd to the new one..

Murray

koniord

koniord

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Thankfully, cost is not an issue, time is.

No further questions.
Thanks for everything, it's always a pleasure with you guys from GTG.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
No problem and good luck.. :tazz:

Murray