Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

xp pro cd burner issue

• Please log in to reply

nation1948

nation1948

• Pip
  • 2 posts
[FONT=Times][SIZE=1] hello and maybe you can assist me on this issue, I jsut found this site. the question is this, I have xp pro and it ahs a built in so called cd burner/copier program. Alittle over a year ago I had this system all rebuilt and then tried putting Roxio Easy cd creator on it (ver 5) well it didnt take so I removed it by add and remove programs, when my pc kicks on no down in the task bar it says some items have been disabled and has been doing this for a year, I have googled the codes it throws up and it says drivers at any rate I dont want to use it and hate this popping up any way to stop this. I have been to configsys now the question I bought some new cds to do some backing up of favorites,pics yada yada and it burn and saved them then about aweek later I wanteed to do it again and copied what I wanted and then sent to cd and it showed it working and burning and thhen it said "finalizing" and before it was done it kicked the tray open and said it couldnt do it and as If I wanted to save these, put a new cd in or what so I tried another cd and the same crap, it kicks open before it is complete. I have found the setting to slow down the copying speed and done this to no avail. IT JUST WORKED A WEEK PRIOR and now it wont, I bought a 3m laser cleaner and to no avail. It will play music but it wont let me copy any ideas you guys? are there other settings, in device manager it shows a cd player and shows it to be working. I have a HP burner its a single not a DBL but the device manager dosent show a HP it just says basically a cd burner, did I lose something? I am lost and I havent done anything that I know of to mess this up but oh well jsut furiated. thanks you all..
Dave in KS

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
First off (although it's a bit pointless telling u now) roxio Easy CD v5 is not compatible with XP (u need v6 or higher). second, XP's built in cd-burning capabilities are very basic and gives you no idea what's happening during the burn, no choice in what type of burn etc. I recommend you get youself a copy of nero:
http://www.nero.com
It's far superior and may well install the missing drivers (if indeed it needs them). If you really want to getthe built-in burning capability working I can only suggest you use 'System Restore' to revert an earlier date when it may have been working okay. system restore will not trash your current 'My Documents' folder, or anything currently in it.