Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

netgear router driving me crazy!

• Please log in to reply

kalele

kalele

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm trying to set up my wireless internet because I just got a toshiba satellite laptop. I have to set the router up on my laptop and then disconnect from the computer (so there is no direct computer connection) and turn on wireless.

problem is I can't even get the router set up! I do everything correctly and it says the router isn't available even thought all the correct lights are on and when i go to network connections it says internet connection is available.

I don't have a warranty on the router anymore because I didn't need it for a while. I had another wireless network at my old apartment and it worked perfectly :tazz: help.

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello kalele, and welcome to Geeks to Go,

I need a little additional information to ascertain whether or not I will be able to assist you, in correcting your problem.

Please Answer the following questions:

1) What operating System's do you have on the PC's in question, Please include any Windows Updates or Patches (Example... XP SP1 or 2)?

2) What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Wireless Adapter / Card currently Installed on your problematic PC?

3) What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Wireless Router you are using?

4) Are you using the software that came with your wireless adapter to manage your connectivity to the router, or if using XP are you using the Wireless Zero Configuration (referred to as WZC)?

5) What IP Configuration are you using (Example.. DHCP, PPoE / Static, Automatic)

6) What troubleshooting steps have you taken already?

kalele

kalele

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
1) What operating System's do you have on the PC's in question, Windows XP w/ SP2

2) What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Wireless Adapter / Card currently Installed on your problematic PC? The wireless is not the problem, i can't get the router to set up

3) What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Wireless Router you are using? Netgear WGR614

4) Are you using the software that came with your wireless adapter to manage your connectivity to the router, or if using XP are you using the Wireless Zero Configuration (referred to as WZC)? can't get the router to work, haven't even gotten to the wireless connection yet

5) What IP Configuration are you using (Example.. DHCP, PPoE / Static, Automatic) Auto, i can't login to the router to change it.

6) What troubleshooting steps have you taken already? this is exactly what i did:
loaded the router CD onto the computer, it checked for my internet connection (it was hooked up directly to the modem) and found it. It told me to go through the steps yadda yadda so in the end my computer is hookedup to the router which is hooked up to the modem(all cables are correct btw). Then turn on the modem, wait, turn on the router. Then it goes to restart my network and says the router is unavailable and the only option it gives me is for me to try it again. I've already tried resetting the router and it doesnt make a difference.

its frusterating because i've set up wireless before and never had this problem @#$$%

Edited by kalele, 11 November 2005 - 02:32 PM.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Try these Set-up steps for connecting the router and adding security and then post back with your results:

1. Power up the router and use an ethernet cable to connect your computer to one of the ports on it marked 1 through 4. Next open a web browser window on the connected computer and type http://192.168.1.1 into the address bar and press enter. This will take you to the Netgear Smart Wizard welcome page, click OK to begin the configuration. The router will attempt to detect the type of connection you have and the next message you receive should be Dynamic IP (DHCP) Detected, click Next once you see this.

2. Next you will enable the wireless capability of your router. In the dropdown box for the region where you are located select United States from the list. On this screen you should also change the Wireless Network Name (SSID) from its default value to something unique so that your Base Station will not be confused with another. Click Next.

3. You should now see a message confirming that your connection is working and wireless is enabled. However, your are not secured yet. Read the notes and click Done. Then direct your browser to http://www.routerlogin.net to continue the configuration. A window will pop up prompting you for your login and password, enter admin for the username and password for the password, then click OK

4. Once you have logged in you will see the main configuration page. Now click on the Wireless Settings at the left of the page. In order to password protect your wireless network select the WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) option under the Security Options and then under the Security Encryption (WEP) section that appears, select 128 bit next to Encryption Strength. Choose a password between 6 and 8 characters and type it into the Passphrase box under the Security Encryption (WEP) Key heading. Then click Generate. Finally click Apply. You may also select WPA encryption, however not all network cards support this, so check your documentation for the card or check the manufacturers web site, first.

5. Next look for the Advanced section heading on the left side of the page and click on this Wireless Settings section. Disable the SSID broadcast option by unchecking the second box in this section and then click on the Setup Access List button.

6. On this page check the box to Turn Access Control On and click on the Apply button to save this setting.

7. Now click on the Add button, this will display a Wireless Card Entry heading. This is where you will choose a name and enter a MAC Address, also known as Physical Address, for each computer that you will be using to connect to your wireless network. If you don't know how to get this information follow the steps here. Once you have finished, click the Apply button.

8. Finally click on the Set Password link on the left of the page under the Maintenance heading. Change the default password for accessing your wireless router setup pages by first typing the old one, password, into the appropriate field and then entering a new one into the New Password field and confirming it. This should be a different password than the one you setup for WEP encryption, but should also be at least 6 to 8 characters in length. Click the Apply button.

9. Your Netgear Wireless Router is now secure, and hopefully functioning correctly
:tazz:

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 11 November 2005 - 08:18 PM.

dattmavis

dattmavis

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi. I am having the same problem with my netgear router and can not figure it out. I have tried to use the setup cd and it gives me the same problem when it tries to restart my network and either says connection not found or it just gives up and gives me a page cannot be displayed error. I've also tried connecting via the 192.168.1.1 but it's like I can't talk to the router from my computer. My request times out when pinging 192.168.1.1 every time. I thought the router might be a defect, but I tried it with a replacement and it does the same thing.

I also tried it on another computer (both with Windows XP SP2) and it did the same thing. When I check my internet connection i've sent something like 168 packets and only recieved 19. When I hook my computer directly to the modem I connect just fine.

I can set up the wireless myself if i could get into the login screen, but I can't figure out how.

If you have any ideas they would be greatly appreciated.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello dattmavis, :tazz:

Please do not crosspost in someone else's topic. Please start your own topic and I will get to as quickly as I can.

Thank You.