Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Local Area Connection not there

• Please log in to reply

yayomayn

yayomayn

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi,
I've recently had to format my HD and re-install windows from scratch due to a software problem. The only problem is that I cannot get an internet connection. There are no network connections at all and if I try to configure one it goes through the motions but when I click "finish" it does not appear.

I have tried re-installing windows (from scratch and a "repair") and it did not work.

In Device Manager it says I am missing a few drivers, one of which is the Ethernet Controller Driver. Could this be the source of the problem?

My motherboard is a asus K8S - MX. I have downloaded and tried the ethernet driver for this off of the asus website but to no avail.

I know that it is not a hardware problem and I just don't know how to solve it :tazz:

Any sugestions/help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
yayomayn

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Look at the position of the cable which goes from the PC to the router to check it runs from the main motherboard connections and not from its own panel

yayomayn

yayomayn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for your reply.
Just checked it and all seems fine to me. It has worked fine in the past though.
There isn't anything wrong with the internet connection (as I'm using it on a different pc right now!)

The motherboard is quite new, but like I said I haven't had problems before. Even when I hadn't got a lan cable plugged in it would tell me that the network cable was unplugged and the icon would be there with the little red cross. Now there are just no network connections at all.

Any ideas??

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If the cable runs from a seperate panel on the PC to the router, installing the motherboard drivers would not have any effect

Download Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on right for network / network adapter

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable driver for your Operating System

If you are unable to find it, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

yayomayn

yayomayn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks Keith,

The network cable plugs directly into the back of the PC which I assume means it goes straight into the motherboard.

I've done what you said. Under Newtwork in the computer summary it just had "Modem - Communications cable between 2 computers"

Under the network section (on the left) was different. Under "Windows Network" it said nothing at all. Under the "PCI/PnP Network" it had SIS190 Fast Ethernet Controller.

My system details are as follows:
AMD Athalon 64 2400
448MB DDR Ram
ASUS K8S - MX Motherboard

I have looked on the ASUS website for stuff but everything I have downloaded has not worked.

Any other suggestions at all???

Sorry that I'm being a pain, I do really appreciate the help!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Set a restore point and try this

http://www.sis.com/download/

You need network driver, SiS190, XP

yayomayn

yayomayn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I downloaded/installed it and...............it worked!!

Thanks very much for your help/patience on this Keith, you're a star* :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know