Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Maxtor Drives, are they good and last long?

• Please log in to reply

Largo

Largo

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hey, i was thinking of getting a Maxtor hard drive and i was wondering if anyone had some input if there good or not.

Advertisements

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Hey, i was thinking of getting a Maxtor hard drive and i was wondering if anyone had some input if there good or not.

I am wondering the same also. I have heard Western Digital is usually better?
(Sorry Largo and mods for asking a question in another person's topic, but I didn't feel I should make a thread when his and my question are so similar.)

Largo

Largo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
It's kool, i have heard good things about WD but i have heard more cons then pros, and my friends use maxtor and they say there good but they dont do much stuff with there comps but play Diablo II so... you know people and geekstogo know there stuff.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Maxtor are fine hdd's so are western digital, I have both and have been using both brands along time. Its hard to pinpoint what drives are better than others because one drive will last longer than its expected and the next time the same brand will not last as long as you expect.

I think the main differance to consider is the type of drive either ide or sata and the rpm witch both manufactuers and many others offer lots of choices.

Rick

Largo

Largo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Thanks.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Hi,

Maxtor are fine hdd's so are western digital, I have both and have been using both brands along time. Its hard to pinpoint what drives are better than others because one drive will last longer than its expected and the next time the same brand will not last as long as you expect.

I think the main differance to consider is the type of drive either ide or sata and the rpm witch both manufactuers and many others offer lots of choices.

Rick

Is SATA good?

Edited by Comrade General, 10 November 2005 - 11:03 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Yes serial ata is better. Dont stick with the old ide if your motherboard supports sata.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
yep I agree with jrm20 sata is the way to go and will sooner or later faze out ide plus sata is a bit faster but you do need to load 3rd party drivers while installing windows that usually are supplied by the motherboard manufactuer on a floppy.

Rick

Wombat52

Wombat52

• Pip
  • 3 posts
All I've ever used are Maxtor Drives, and I've yet to lose as much as a single sector on any of them.