Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repair Installation Problem with Windows XP Home

• Please log in to reply

ThunderT

ThunderT

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
I posted a boot up problem in the Hardware Forum recently. I finally got past that one, and managed to get Windows XP to try a Repair Installation. My problem is that during the installation, I get several copy error messages where my choices are to either retry, skip, or browse for the file. When I click "Browse", sure enough the file is sitting there in the i386 folder of my Windows XP CD, but for some reason the installer can't find it. I found on another forum that a user suggested copying the i386 directory onto the hard drive to avoid CD Read problems. I did this, and attempted another repair installation but again I ran into a variety of copy error messages. Once I clear all of those, eventually Windows runs, but in an obvious sluggish mode. I am unable to get Windows Update to work properly to get me back.

I tried Windows Restore within Windows, and picked a checkpoint back when everything was fine (about a week ago), but it seemed to freeze there for a very long time - nothing like how it has behaved when I've restored in the past.

I am completely perplexed with what to do. Please help!

AMD Athlon XP 2400+
MSI KT3 Ultra ARU
1 GB PC-2700
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
2 x 80 GB Western Digital P-ATA in RAID 0
Lite-On DVD-RW
Toshiba DVD-ROM
Antec 430 TruePower
SB Audigy 2 ZS
Intel NIC

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi ThunderT!

Go to START-->RUN and type sfc /scannow. Please note the space between sfc and /scannow. You may need your XP CD to do this. What this does is check your windows files and repairs/replaces any files that are corrupt/missing. Once the blue bar goes away, remove your xp cd (if you had to insert it) and reboot your computer.

Post back how things are going after doing this.

Fenor

ThunderT

ThunderT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Fenor, thanks for the suggestion. I wasn't aware of that command. What ended up happening was if I just let Internet Explorer sit there for a while (the little Windows icon in the upper right didn't even move) when clicking on Windows Update, eventually I got into the website and downloaded all of the critical fixes, and eventually SP2. After this, my computer seemed to working. Nevertheless, I performed your suggestion just in case any files were missing/corrupted, and rebooted, and as my computer is concerned, all is good once again.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Glad to hear it! :tazz:

If you experience any more problems/glitches/etc... please don't hestitate to return!

Fenor