Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Monitoring

• Please log in to reply

color-blind

color-blind

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, I'm new here so please be patient. I suspect my network is being monitored by one of my employees. I don't believe it to be spyware though. Their are no popup problems. In addition I have run spysweeper and Norton internet security and everything checks out fine. We have a small network that is peer to peer. How do I determine if someone is monitoring all the network traffic?

Advertisements

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Hey color-blind, Welcome to G2G

In order to monitor all the network traffic, one of the pc's on the network would have to have a network card operating in promiscuous mode and have packet monitoring/sniffing or protocol analysis software loaded. Some examples of this type of software are:
Ethereal
Snoop
AnalogX
Network Probe

There are many others..searching for packet sniffing/packet monitoring/protocol analyzer/protocol sniffer(well, you get the idea) in Google will give you a more exhaustive list...

What makes you think the network is being monitored? What type of security policy do you have in place? A good security policy can help prevent this type of thing.