Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB stopped working after pluggin a hub

• Please log in to reply

transmogrify

transmogrify

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm using an old 6 year old laptop. Toshiba Satellite 2100CDT
works great, win98 SE with current windows updates. Has a PS/2 mouse attached with long cable.

I've used the usb to connect to my DSL modem with no problems. Use the usb to download pictures from my digital camera, it recognized those jump drives, no problems. Laptop only has one USB.

Then my hubby decides he wants to use a USB mouse with retrackable cord. So he buys a 4-port hub and USB mouse from Frys. An Inland Hub (usb 2.0) and a labtec optical mouse w/ retractable usb cable.

The mouse worked when pluggin into the usb port on the laptop but the hub did not. Of course he didn't check that the laptop usb port is 1.1, and the hub is 2.0. So it wasn't recognized. I kinda thought it would be backward compatible but it didn't work. I didn't do much to make it work, just decided it was not compatible.

Then when we plug the usb cable to the DSL modem there is no connection. I tried uninstalling the usb drivers, root hub, etc.... rebooting and letting the OS re-install. No error in device manager. But still nothing plugged into the usb port works any more. Have tried all the suggestions in a thread elsewhere in this forum.

Ran a registery cleaning program. Went to windows updates and made sure everything was current. Have tried several times to uninstall the usb port device and letting window reinstall. NO luck!

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

My current work around is to use the PCMCI slots for a wireless modem and a 2-port usb card.

TIA

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Transmogrify USB Problem
11 Nov-2005

Need to look at your USB Driver Files – Download the Free Home Edition of [Everest] and Attach the [Quick HTML Reports] back – (See Instructions) – Additionally There is a Routine to have [Device Mqnager] show the [Non Present Devices] – Which will show the USB History of Devices – This will be a 2 Part Process –

1st – Download the Free Home Edition of [EVEREST] so we can analyze your PC – USB Capabilities -
http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

Download & Run [EVEREST] & do the following steps to obtain 3 [REPORTS] – from these – will be able to answer USB Issues & suggestions better -

Report-1: [Transmogrify -CPU-1]

1 – Expand [COMPUTER] Folder
2 – Click on [SUMMARY] Folder
3 – On Main Menu – Click on [REPORT] >On pop down menu – Highlight [Quick Report-Summary] >Click on [HTML]
4 – Save to File as [Transmogrify-CPU-1] & attach to POST

Report –2: [Transmogrify -Mobo-1]

1 – Expand [MOTHERBOARD] Folder
2 – Click on [MOTHERBOARD] Folder
3 – Click [REPORT] >[Quick Report-Motherboard] > [HTML]
4 – Save to File as [Transmogrify -Mobo-1] & attach to POST

Report –3 :[ Transmogrify -Devices-1]

1 – Expand [DEVICES] Folder
2 – Click on [DEVICES] Folder
3 – Click [REPORT]>[Quick Report-Devices]> [HTML]
4 – Save as File [Transmogrify Devices-1] & attach to Post

2nd – Preparation Process for [DEVICE MANAGER] to View [Non Present Devices] – This is a 2 Step process that needs to be done only once –

Step – 1 Set [Folder Options] to [Show Hidden Files & Folders]
Step – 2 Set [Device Manager] to [Show Non Present Devices]

Step – 1 Open [Control Panel] and set [Folder Options] to show [Hidden Files & Folders] – (1 time process)

(1) – Click [Start] Button
(2) – Scroll up to [SETTINGS] > Click on [CONTROL PANEL]
(3) – Open [Folder Options]
(4) – Click on [VIEW] Tab
(5) – Scroll down to [Hidden Files & Folders]
(6) – Click the [SHOW HIDDEN FILES & FOLDER] Option
(7) – Deselect OPTION – [Hide Protected OS Files – Recommended]
(8) – Click [OK]
(9) – Close [Control Panel]

Step – 2 Prep [DEVICE MANAGER] to view [Non Present Devices] –( 1 time process)

(1) – Right Click [MY COMPUTER] > Click [PROPERTIES] on Drop Down Menu –
(2) – Click [ADVANCED] Tab – (on System Properties)
(3) – Click [ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES] Tab -
(4) – Under [SYSTEM VARIABLES] Section – Click [NEW] Tab –
(5) – In [NAME] Section – Type – devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
(6) – In [VALUE] Section – Type the number 1
(7) – Close out by Clicking [OK] Tabs – 3 Times – (3 levels/panels to close)
(8) – Click on [START] Button > Then click on [RUN] –
(9) – Type – devmgmt.msc – and then Click [OK] – This will open [DEVICE MANAGER]
(10)– Click [VIEW] on Menu > Click [Show Hidden Devices] on Pop Down Menu –
(11) – View [Hidden Devices] – Indicated by Faded Gray Print – (Close when completed) –
(12) – Restart Computer – (To ensure a good [Initial] beginning -

Standard Process to Open [DEVICE MANAGER] with [Show Hidden Devices] Option set -

(1) – Right Click [MY COMPUTER]
(2) – Browse down [Menu] to [Properties] > Double Click to Open Properties Page
(3) – Click on [HARDWARE] Tab
(4) – Click on [Device Manager] Tab
(5) – Click on [View} on Menu Bar
(6) – **Click on [Show Hidden Files]**
(7) – Expand Folders as reqyired
(8) – You need to double left click or right click each line to reveal additional info
(9) – [Non Present Devices] will be denoted by –(Light/faded gray print)

** Step 6 will have to be set to [Show Hidden Files] on each opening of [Device Manager] **

The [Non Present Devices] in [Device Manager] will be the Devices that are indicated by [Light/Faded gray] Print – They are all the Devices that were Installed on PC – But are not connected now –

Post back the 3 [Everest Reports] – We can analyze your PC & then ask questions about the [Device Manager] Viewing –

Answer these questions also:

1- Still running Win 98 SE
2- Did you have CD Installation CD for [New HUB] & [New Mouse]
3- Where did you obtain the USB Drivers from –
4- The USB Hubs – Do they have an External Power Adapter -

My 1st thoughts are you installed wrong USB Drivers & did not Uninstall them – Properly for some reason – Device Manager may show this now – Since it can show you more than before – I will explain more of some of [USB Anomalies] in my Next Post –
Your Following Statement – on [USB Backward Compatible] is one of such Anomalies -

“The mouse worked when pluggin into the usb port on the laptop but the hub did not. Of course he didn't check that the laptop usb port is 1.1, and the hub is 2.0. So it wasn't recognized. I kinda thought it would be backward compatible but it didn't work. I didn't do much to make it work, just decided it was not compatible.”

USB Standards say that USB 2.0 is Backward Compatible – but they were not speaking for Bill Gate$ - and for USB Device Manufacturers –

Microsoft is not supporting Win 9X with new Drivers & not all Manufacturers actually test for Backward Compatibility to Win 9X – And Win 9X was 1st Generation of USB Devices and have a lot of issues that are just now being discovered – The root cause of these issues stems from the fact – USB STANDARDS gave the Specifications for the USB Devices – But they did not Define any Standards for the – [USB Host Controller Interface] – Which is the Heart of USB – So much of the problems are contained in USB Chipsets on Motherboard – [Ali] – [SiS] – [VIA] are the Manufacturers that have Documented Issues – [Everest] will determine the Chipset Manufacturer for you –

We will try to get old USB back – but is the current PCMCI Card – [USB 2.0] - If it is – does all your previous and new USB devices work –

If they do – Sounds like your [Work Around] Plan is your Best Option – Your PCMCI card is independent from motherboard Chipset – Unless you want your Old USB Port back also – I would only be able to do that – Only if the [Port] has not be Blown – I don’t believe that it is blown – but it is a possibility –

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 11 November 2005 - 11:14 AM.

transmogrify

transmogrify

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Jack123

Thanks for the fast response. Laptop is at home and hubby has decided to take it to a friend who claims to be able to fix it. I am however attaching a summary report from Everst, I didn't see your post till this morning, so this report is a total summary. I think it shows everything.

I will attempt to look at hidden devices in the device manager to see if the hub drivers are still there.

To answer your questions:

1- Still running Win 98 SE - YES

2- Did you have CD Installation CD for [New HUB] & [New Mouse]
I HONESTLY DON'T RECALL, BUT IT SEEMS THERE WAS A CD FOR THE HUB NOT THE MOUSE

3- Where did you obtain the USB Drivers from – EITHER THE CD OR WIN98 RECOMMENDED DRIVERS

4- The USB Hubs – Do they have an External Power Adapter - NO

Again thanks. I will post my findings with regard to the hidden devices issues later.

trans

Attached Files

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Transmogrify USB Problem-(2)
11 Nov-2005

Looking at Everest Report – I only saw 1 USB Host Controller Interface – which was [Open Host Controller] – Which appears to be the PCMCI Device & is a 1 USB 1.1 Driver – I did not see the motherboard Host Controller- Which could mean that it may be [Disabled] in BIOS Section > [Integrated Peripherals] – Can you Verify & perhaps [Enable USB] – PCMCI Card should doesn’t need Motherboard USB Support-

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 11 November 2005 - 02:34 PM.

transmogrify

transmogrify

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Jack

When I did the everest report I did not have the PCMCI card w/ USB ports attached. The laptop only has one USB port intergrated and it is version 1.1. I can confirm that USB is enabled in the BIOS I checked initially.

The only PCMCI card attached at this point is s D-Link wireless, our DSL modem has wireless capability.

I am attached the initial Everest Reports you asked for, perhaps they can provide more info.

I was unable to set Device Manager to show any hidden devices. There is no ADVANCED TAB in PROPERTIES in MY COMPUTER. I get the same window as opening System in the Control Panel. I looked for Environmental Variables but couldn't find it anywhere.

Thanks for any further suggestions.

Trans

Attached Files