Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Downloader_AAI [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

soupdog

soupdog

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Assistance requested: I have been notified by my McAfee online virus protection that I have a Trojan Horse called Downloader_AAI. I understand that it is difficult to remove. I have followed the first 4 steps to try to remove it with no success. I have run the HiJackThis and have added thelog here. Please advise. Much thanks.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 2:13:45 AM, on 11/11/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Portrait Displays\MagicTune\dtsrvc.exe
c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RunDll32.exe
C:\Program Files\WinPortrait\wpctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\mcvsshld.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\Program Files\ASUS\Probe\AsusProb.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\oasclnt.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Portrait Displays\MagicTune\DTHtml.exe
C:\MSOffice\Office\FINDFAST.EXE
C:\MSOffice\Office\MSOFFICE.EXE
C:\Program Files\SEC\Natural Color\NaturalColorLoad.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsftsn.exe
C:\Program Files\WinPortrait\floater.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Downloads\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.toronto.com/
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_5_7_0.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_5_7_0.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [High Definition Audio Property Page Shortcut] HDAudPropShortcut.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cmaudio] RunDll32 cmicnfg.cpl,CMICtrlWnd
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PivotSoftware] "C:\Program Files\WinPortrait\wpctrl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\VSO\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\mcvsshld.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McUpdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ASUS Probe] C:\Program Files\ASUS\Probe\AsusProb.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OASClnt] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\oasclnt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [THGuard] "C:\Program Files\TrojanHunter 4.2\THGuard.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: InterVideo WinCinema Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
O4 - Global Startup: MagicTune.lnk = C:\Program Files\Portrait Displays\MagicTune\DTHtml.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office Fast Start.lnk = C:\MSOffice\Office\FASTBOOT.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office Find Fast Indexer.lnk = C:\MSOffice\Office\FINDFAST.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office Shortcut Bar.lnk = C:\MSOffice\Office\MSOFFICE.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: NaturalColorLoad.lnk = ?
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.mcaf...90/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.mcaf...,23/mcgdmgr.cab
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: Portrait Displays Display Tune Service (DTSRVC) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Portrait Displays\MagicTune\dtsrvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee WSC Integration (McDetect.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield (McShield) - McAfee Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Task Scheduler (McTskshd.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe

Advertisements

infaddict

infaddict

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
Hi soupdog and welcome to Geeks to Go :tazz: .

My name is infaddict and I will be helping you with your problem. I will post a fix as soon as I have analysed your log.

Thank you for your patience :).

infaddict

infaddict

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
Hi soupdog :)

There's no sign of malware in your HijackThis log, which is a great start!

However, I notice you are not running a firewall. The Windows firewall is not sufficient and it is essential you have a good firewall installed, otherwise you are wide open to re-infection at any time. There are several good FREE firewall and I can personally recommend ZoneAlarm. Please install this and follow the onscreen instructions and tutorial.

Now download CleanUp and install it. Then run CleanUp and click the CleanUp button and let it clean out all the temporary files on your PC. Then close CleanUp and restart your PC (if it asks you if you wish to logoff, say No then restart manually).

After your computer has restarted, please run a online Panda ActiveScan. This must be run from Internet Explorer and it may download/install an ActiveX control - this is ok. Click the Scan your PC button and follow the steps to scan your computer. When complete, post a reply with the results of the ActiveScan and also a fresh HijackThis log.

:tazz:

soupdog

soupdog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for helping. I completed the steps you advised. Here are the results of the scans.
There doesn't seem to be any sign of the Downloader_AAI or the file pcs_00091[1].exe which was identified by McAffee. As none of the various programs I have tried have identified the Dowloader or .exe file, how will I know if I have been able to get rid of the trojan horse?

BTW, since my firs post, I have installed a 3-month trial version of McAffee firewall. Thanks for that advice. I thought the windows firewall was enough.

Active Scan report:

Incident Status Location
Adware:adware/cws.searchmeup Not desinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\convert.exe
Hyjack this log:

Scan saved at 11:24:53 PM, on 11/21/2005

Running processes:
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MPFSERVICE.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKSrvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\sdhelp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKAgent.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\mps\mscifapp.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfAgent.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Downloads\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.toronto.com/
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_5_7_0.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: McBrwHelper Class - {227B8AA8-DAF2-4892-BD1D-73F568BCB24E} - c:\program files\mcafee.com\mps\mcbrhlpr.dll
O2 - BHO: McAfee PopupKiller - {3EC8255F-E043-4cae-8B3B-B191550C2A22} - c:\program files\mcafee.com\mps\popupkiller.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_5_7_0.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [High Definition Audio Property Page Shortcut] HDAudPropShortcut.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\VSO\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\mcvsshld.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKAgentExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKAgent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKDetectorExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKDetct.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPSExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\mps\mscifapp.exe /embedding
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Spyware Doctor] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe" /Q
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSKAGENTEXE] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKAgent.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: InterVideo WinCinema Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
O4 - Global Startup: MagicTune.lnk = C:\Program Files\Portrait Displays\MagicTune\DTHtml.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office Fast Start.lnk = C:\MSOffice\Office\FASTBOOT.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office Find Fast Indexer.lnk = C:\MSOffice\Office\FINDFAST.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office Shortcut Bar.lnk = C:\MSOffice\Office\MSOFFICE.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.mcaf...90/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoft...free/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.mcaf...,23/mcgdmgr.cab
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Portrait Displays Display Tune Service (DTSRVC) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Portrait Displays\MagicTune\dtsrvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee WSC Integration (McDetect.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield (McShield) - McAfee Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Task Scheduler (McTskshd.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MPFSERVICE.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SpamKiller Server (MskService) - McAfee Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKSrvr.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Spyware Doctor (SDhelper) - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\sdhelp.exe

infaddict

infaddict

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
Hi soupdog :tazz:

There doesn't seem to be any sign of the Downloader_AAI or the file pcs_00091[1].exe which was identified by McAffee. As none of the various programs I have tried have identified the Dowloader or .exe file, how will I know if I have been able to get rid of the trojan horse?

It may be that this file was in a temporary folder and CleanUp! has now deleted it.... or maybe one of your previous scans did actually clean it. To be safe, I will ask you to run another thorough scan.

Firstly, please delete the following infected file :

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\convert.exe

If you are unable to delete this file, please reboot in Safe Mode as follows :
  • Restart your computer
  • As soon as it starts up, tap F8 continuosly until a menu appears
  • Select Safe Mode and press Enter
  • If a Welcome sign on screen appears, make sure you select an account with Administrator privileges
  • Now try deleting the file again
  • Then reboot back to Normal Windows and continue with instructions below
Please download WebRoot SpySweeper from HERE (It's a 2 week trial):
  • Click the Free Trial link under to "SpySweeper" to download the program.
  • Install it. Once the program is installed, it will open.
  • It will prompt you to update to the latest definitions, click Yes.
  • Once the definitions are installed, click Options on the left side.
  • Click the Sweep Options tab.
  • Under What to Sweep please put a check next to the following:
    • Sweep Memory
    • Sweep Registry
    • Sweep Cookies
    • Sweep All User Accounts
    • Enable Direct Disk Sweeping
    • Sweep Contents of Compressed Files
    • Sweep for Rootkits
    • Please UNCHECK Do not Sweep System Restore Folder.
  • Click Sweep Now on the left side.
  • Click the Start button.
  • When it's done scanning, click the Next button.
  • Make sure everything has a check next to it, then click the Next button.
  • It will remove all of the items found.
  • Click Session Log in the upper right corner, copy everything in that window.
  • Click the Summary tab and click Finish.
  • Paste the contents of the session log you copied into your next reply.

soupdog

soupdog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Nothing was found. Am I good to go? I'm not entirely comfortable with the fact that I never found the trojan horse I was told I had. You ususally get to see what it is you are erasing when a program finds a malicious file. I never saw it. Do you think my system is OK now?

Also, now that I have done it I guess it is a bit late to ask this, but, is there any harm in posting the hyjack this log on a public site? Is any info useful to anyone with less than honourable intentions who might see my log? Just asking...

11:09 PM: | Start of Session, Wednesday, November 23, 2005 |
11:09 PM: Spy Sweeper started
11:09 PM: Sweep initiated using definitions version 575
11:09 PM: Starting Memory Sweep
11:11 PM: Memory Sweep Complete, Elapsed Time: 00:01:50
11:11 PM: Starting Registry Sweep
11:11 PM: Registry Sweep Complete, Elapsed Time:00:00:09
11:11 PM: Starting Cookie Sweep
11:11 PM: Cookie Sweep Complete, Elapsed Time: 00:00:00
11:11 PM: Starting File Sweep
11:20 PM: File Sweep Complete, Elapsed Time: 00:08:33
11:20 PM: Full Sweep has completed. Elapsed time 00:10:29
11:20 PM: Traces Found: 0
11:01 PM: | Start of Session, Wednesday, November 23, 2005 |
11:01 PM: Spy Sweeper started
11:01 PM: Sweep initiated using definitions version 575
11:01 PM: Starting Memory Sweep
10:59 PM: | Start of Session, Wednesday, November 23, 2005 |
10:59 PM: Spy Sweeper started
11:00 PM: Your spyware definitions have been updated.
11:01 PM: | End of Session, Wednesday, November 23, 2005 |

infaddict

infaddict

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

I'm not entirely comfortable with the fact that I never found the trojan horse I was told I had. You ususally get to see what it is you are erasing when a program finds a malicious file. I never saw it.

As I said before, it may be that the file was present in a temporary folder (e.g. your temporary internet cache folder) and that CleanUp! deleted it for you. The name of the file suggests it could be something that would hide in a temporary folder. Other than that, we have now run 2 scans, both of which are highly trusted - both Panda ActiveScan and Webroot SpySweeper found no further trace of this file. Unless you are having any symptoms to suggest the opposite, I am therefore confident it is no longer on your system :)

If you want to get another opinion from a specialist Trojan scanner, then you could download and install the free trial of Trojan Hunter
  • When prompted to download the lastest detection rules, choose "yes" then click ok.
  • Uncheck "Launch Trojan Hunter Guard" and then click "Finish".
  • Click the center Option now labelled "continue Evaluation"
  • Select "my computer" and all options that spawn from it except for your cd drive. now at the top left, click "full scan" and let it run its course.
    When the scan is complete.
  • Select Everything in the Lower Right Pane and copy it into your next post
Please reply with the Trojan Hunter log and a fresh HijackThis log and hopefully I can pronounce you clean and give you some great prevention tips :tazz:

soupdog

soupdog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I've followed your instructions. What do you think?
Can you address my question about what sort of info is revealed in a hyjack this log?
Thanks for helping me. Cheers.

Scan saved at 11:32:45 PM, on 11/24/2005

Running processes:
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MPFSERVICE.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKSrvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\sdhelp.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKAgent.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\mps\mscifapp.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.EXE
C:\Program Files\TrojanHunter 4.2\TrojanHunter.exe

O2 - BHO: McBrwHelper Class - {227B8AA8-DAF2-4892-BD1D-73F568BCB24E} - c:\program files\mcafee.com\mps\mcbrhlpr.dll
O2 - BHO: McAfee PopupKiller - {3EC8255F-E043-4cae-8B3B-B191550C2A22} - c:\program files\mcafee.com\mps\popupkiller.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKAgentExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKAgent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKDetectorExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKDetct.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPSExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\mps\mscifapp.exe /embedding
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe" /startintray
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Spyware Doctor] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe" /Q
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSKAGENTEXE] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKAgent.exe
O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoft...free/asinst.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WRNotifier - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WRLogonNTF.dll
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MPFSERVICE.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SpamKiller Server (MskService) - McAfee Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKSrvr.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Spyware Doctor (SDhelper) - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\sdhelp.exe
O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (svcWRSSSDK) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe

Registry scan
No suspicious entries found
Inifile scan
No suspicious entries found
Port scan
No suspicious open ports found
Memory scan
No trojans found in memory
File scan
No trojan files found

infaddict

infaddict

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
Hi soupdog :)

I've followed your instructions. What do you think?

I think you are clean :tazz:. Unless you are having any further symptoms or problems, I believe you are clean of malware.

Can you address my question about what sort of info is revealed in a hyjack this log?

HijackThis analyses what processes and programs are currently running on your computer. It also shows various important elements from the Windows Registry (such as program set to startup when you logon) and some Internet Explorer settings (such as your homepage and searchpage). It does not reveal any personally identifiable information other than it may reveal your user account name.

Since your issues have been addressed and you are ready to travel the net again, I will just give you a few ideas on how to stay safe out there. Best of all these programs are all readily available on the net for free :)

To reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future, I strongly recommend installing SpywareBlaster and SpyWareGuard.

SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard are by JavaCool and both are free programs. SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed and consumes no system resources. SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.

More info and download is available at:

Spyware Blaster Spyware Guard

Might I suggest the following Free Spyware programs for added security, you can download them at the following links. These programs work great for detection:

Ad-aware SE--Adaware Tutorial

Spybot S&D--Spybot Tutorial

Antiviruses play an important role in keeping your computer safe and worry free while using the net. *NOTE* Only one antivirus must be allowed to run on your computer, as having two or more running can and will cause conflicts.

AVG Avast

Firewalls are also a must in any good prevention :

Zone Alarm Sygate Kerio

There are different browsers available on the net, other than Internet Explorer, we believe!! these are better for security purposes :

Firefox Opera

You must stay on top of your updates at all times, for the above mentioned applications.

It is vitally important to stay on top of your critical updates provided by microsoft.

This can be accessed by going to Windows Updates and following the prompts.

To add to the performance of your computer, i suggest a weekly maintenance program. Run this tool. Ccleaner

Lastly a second opinion on the Antivirus that you have chosen. I suggest running these online virus scans periodically, just to make sure that the av is doing a proper job, of keeping you safe :

Rav Online Scan Housecall Online Scan Panda Activescan

Housecall Java Online Scan<---For those who use Firefox, or opera.

And finally a little Posted Image How did I get infected in the first place ? (by Mr. Tony Klein and dvk01)

Good luck and safe surfing :woot:

soupdog

soupdog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks, man. :tazz:

infaddict

infaddict

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.