Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

xp reinstall error reports

• Please log in to reply

cward

cward

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hope one of you can help me with my computer before I go crazy. I am not real computer savvy but can follow directions.

I have a Dell Dimension 4500; Pentium 4 CPU 2.00 GHz; 1.99 GHz; 256 MB of RAM
Did a virus scan and Spybot and Ad Aware check today before starting the reinstall. All clear.

My computer has been very slow to start up (and just generally not as quick as it once was) for months and I finally took the plunge to try reinstalling. These errors came up during the reinstallation of XP and I didn’t know what to do... There weren’t any options, just to click OK.

# 1:
Com+Setup Error:

Sub component com+ raised an exception while processing the OC_COMPLETE-INSTALLATION Setup message. d:\nt\com\comlx\src\complussetup\csetuputil.cpp (line 3406) Error Code 0X8007007f

The specified procedure could not be found. Failed to load the library 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\catsrv.dll

# 2:
Windows Update
An error occurred loading “C:\Windows\System32\inetcomm.dll” The file may not have been installed or it has been corrupted.

# 3:
Windows Update
An error occurred loading “C:\ProgramFiles\OutlookExpress\msoe.dll” The file may not have been installed or it has been corrupted. (I have uninstalled Outlook Express – I think....)

Then at the end of the Whole Process my Dell owner’s manual says there is supposed to be a Welcome to Microsoft screen with a green arrow icon at the bottom. I couldn’t find the arrow. Just stared at the screen without figuring out what I could do then turned the computer off.

When turned back on all my files seem to still be here. That was a big relief. The computer is as slow or EVEN SLOWER at startup than before I reinstalled.

Any ideas about what might help me now? I am trying to remain patient. I did do a MS update after reinstalling.

The last time I shutdown there was an error about devl? or something like that .dll.

Any ideas would be VERY welcome. Carol
:tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you have a Dell Recovery / XP CD or an OEM XP CD

cward

cward

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
The CD came from Dell with the computer. It says Reinstallation CD. Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition. Only use this CD to reinstall the operating system on a Dell Computer. This CD is not for reinstallation of programs or drivers.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See if it lets you run these

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot.

You can check for any improvement now, and then after each step until you have run through them all, if necessary

When it has loaded to the desktop, click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

This will take an hour, it will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

When it gets to the desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be as they should

cward

cward

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I put in the Reinstall CD and a screen came up asking what I wanted to do. I went to run: sfc /scannow. There was a quick "flash" of black on the screen. That was it.
I am still downloading SP2 as we speak. Dial up connection. 19% finished. When the download is finished I can go offline and try again. Any thoughts? Thanks for trying to help.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Let me know how SP2 goes, it may not install cos of the errors

cward

cward

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
up to 30%
now 37% and going really slow. Should I cancel downloading?

Edited by cward, 11 November 2005 - 01:02 PM.

cward

cward

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
43%

cward

cward

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Got tired of waiting for SP2 especially when it probably won't load properly anyway.

I went offline and did this: Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, with the reinstall XP Cd in the E drive. Just a flash of black screen (like a small dos screen) then nothing. Do you need to wait a long time for anything to happen?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You should have got the blue progress bar

Try chkdsk /f /r

Advertisements

cward

cward

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
chkdsk /f /r This worked. The result was "The volume is clean."

The startup is the same. Slow. Any other steps? Thanks for helping...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does the Dell CD let you do any of this

Please go here to repair your operating system

Repair XP

If you are unable to run Repair XP

Alternate XP Repair Guide

Use the last one - Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running the repair it will be necessary to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

cward

cward

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
This was what I did last night (repair). The the error reports #1,2,3 in my first post came up during the installation phase.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run this

Get the trial of Tune Up 2006 here

Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run disc clean up then registry clean up, then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

See how many errors there are from registry clean up

cward

cward

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I'll do it right now. Thanks...