Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

xp reinstall error reports

• Please log in to reply

cward

cward

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Still downloading - at 38%. Someday soon I want a fast connection

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You'd think they would have fast connections by now :tazz:

[attachment=4700:attachment]

cward

cward

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
tuneup 2006:
disc cleanup cleaned 1.62 mb
registry cleanup 914 problems fixed
defrag and reboot. Reduced the registry by 5% (2088kb)

After reboot (still slow) It said successfully defragmented.

Then Windows installer came on saying "preparing to install". After about 30 seconds this popped up: "Norton 2005 does not support the repair feature, please uninstall and reinstall." I had Norton disabled the whole time. I don't really fancy uninstalling Norton but will if necessary. Thoughts?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You are probably stuck with Norton installer window until you do re-install it, then you would be better to use add remove, follwed by symnrt

http://service1.syma...=&osv_lvl=&seg=

Section 2 and the download link is just under number 3

When you have done this you can re-install

Norton could be the cause though it probably went wrong with the repair errors, do you have a CDRW / DVDRW Drive to back up the data on the PC

cward

cward

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Yes, I have cd and dvdrw drives. What data to backup? Can I put the Norton on disk? Is that what you are saying? Sorry if I'm being dense.. LOL
So I need to go to add/remove programs and remove Norton? Then go to the link you posted?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That's the better way to remove Norton

The data to back up would be documents, pictures, e-mail and any other files / programmes you cannot replace

My instinct is that as the repair did not go to plan, the errors will continue to make their presence known, so a clean start would be good

You could be lucky and run the repair again without getting the errors, especially as Tune Up cleared a few

cward

cward

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Keith, Okay, I will try totally uninstalling Norton. Then try once again to reinstall Windows. Wish me luck this time. And I have already backed up everything I can to disks. Just hope I don't need to start from scratch. Thanks for you help. I'll repost in a day or so to give you an update. It is great having someone to help. Carol

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have everything backed up then at least you have options

If re-installing Norton and the repair do not improve this then you will be as quick to offload the lot / format and also write zeros to the drive and re-installing, which I hope you do not need to do

Good Luck

NancyJane

NancyJane

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
cward...I'm frightened. I am going thru the EXACT same problem... All three of the error messages you wrote about, the painful slowness once I tried to reinstall from the CD...everything is the same EVEN THE DAY MY COMPUTER CRASHED, 11/11. Did you also have virtual memory paging file issues? Did you keep getting the blue screen? I can't open mail nor can I locate any dbx files. I'm going nuts trying to resolve this issue. Were you able to get up and running? I'm a hair away from a complete re-install...but I'm not sure that will help. I think the similarities, particularly the date of the crash...indicates some sort of virus. Please advise if you were able to get your computer up and running! - Nancy

cward

cward

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I guess we are having similar problems. I have only had the blue screen once or twice. I haven't had time to try redoing the repair but will post an update in the next day or so. I had problems LONG before 11/11 anyway. You tried system restore I'm sure...

Make sure you do all the suggestions on the Malware forum here. It found a lot of junk on my computer that probably started this whole thing... Good luck, Carol

Advertisements

cward

cward

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Just thought I'd update on what has been happening... I talked to my step-son who thought we needed more memory on the computer and said that might help with the slow start. We bought one memory board from a local Staples that didn't work then ordered one from Dell and installed it a couple days ago. It does work faster in some ways and startup is somewhat faster.

I still plan to uninstall Norton Antivirus. Then I will reinstall Windows again. Then reinstall the Norton. I have a lot of other things going on right now and need the computer working so it may be a week or so until there is enough time...

cward

cward

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Another update: We added a memory board - then after saving everything possible to disk, I did end up reprogramming the whole computer.
I decided to just use AVG instead of Norton (even though I had just paid for it, darn). I now have Spy-bot, and Spyware blaster. The computer is running great. I think I have learned my lesson and won't be fiddling around with the computer settings so much. LOL Thanks for all the help Geeks to Go.