Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Download Accelerator Plus

• Please log in to reply

shasha

shasha

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I'm a download-happy person and I was told that a download accelerator [with 'resume download' feature] would be of great help in speeding up my downloads since I'm only on dial-up service. I especially like the "resume" feature as it's a pain in the [bleep] whenever I have to cancel a download [because I'm not patient enough to wait for it to be completed after loooooooooooong hours] and have to start all over again the next time I'm on-line.

I found this:

http://www.download....tml?legacy=cnet

Seems like an interesting software. But I'm kinda wary since a lot of ads comes with the software as confirmed by some of the reviewers.

whatchathink?

Or do you guys have other highly-recommended download accelarator in mind. I really need to know.

:tazz:

Advertisements

chirp

chirp

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
Although there are only two user reviews the both complained about ads. So this program itself has adware. As far as I think if you expect it to speed up your dowloads I don't think it will a whole lot . To get the maximum acceleration you would need to get the full version. Personally I wouldn't get it becuase ads pop up and I am frimly agaisnt companies that use malware. But for dial up the resume feature sound pretty nice. I don't know any other programs but I will do some looking into it and if I find any i'll let you know.

Edited by chirp, 11 November 2005 - 08:51 AM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I trust my downloading to Flashget, from

www.amazesoft.com

The latest version I got didn't have any ads and hasn't even pestered me to register, although on another machine I have a paid for version that has been well worth what it cost me. And it's never caused me any problems on XP or win98. I was DLing Fedora Core 4 from a server and it went down for a couple of days. When the server came back on line FG resumed the DL just fine.

Now as to "speeding up your downloads", I don't reccomend that you try that, for two reasons. You ISP limits your download speed for obvious economic reasons, so it generally doesn't work anyway. But also, many site limit you to only one or two lines or files at a time, and if you try more you may find that your DLs are cut off, sometimes for quite a while, until you change your settings to one line/one file.

Edited by Tyger, 11 November 2005 - 06:41 PM.