Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Call of duty 2, Civ4 and other game probs.

• Please log in to reply

ijhobson

ijhobson

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I'm baffled by some recent gaming probs i've been having and wonder if anyone can help.
i havn't been playing games in a while but with more recent ones i am having loading probs.

Call of duty 2 is the most recent game.
i installed it ok but when i try to run it, it starts loading and then an error message comes up saying "cod2 has encountered an error and has to close.
Halflife2 had a similar problem and age of empires and civ4 both came up with an error message about display errors or told me to check my graphics card.
Older games like the original Call Of Duty and medal of honour work fine and more recently Pro evolution soccer 5 has worked fine as well.

My computer spec is good enough
Amd 64 3000
Ati Radeon 9600 pro Agp grahics card 256mb
1.5gig of Ram
Asus K8VSE motherboard
running windows xp sp2.

I have updated my video card drivers, bios and have the latest directx installed.
i've also ran 2 diff virus checkers.
I've spent a fortune on games recently and am completely baffled but whats happening.
Can anyone help?

Edited by ijhobson, 13 November 2005 - 03:16 AM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
single player or multi player? does it crash before the main menu is present or after when you go into the game?

ijhobson

ijhobson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
It's always been on singleplayer. Havn't even got round to multiplayer yet.
I usually get a screenshot or logo of the games and then it crashes.
I never get to the main menu.

Edited by ijhobson, 13 November 2005 - 03:15 AM.

ijhobson

ijhobson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
anyone any ideas? this doing my head in.

Hydrohume

Hydrohume

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This is same prob I am having - with the same config, but with less RAM.

Also Civ4 and Call of Duty 2 both not working.

Why did I ever choose to buy a RADEON card?

Any luck yet?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Radeons are usually very reliable and problems are usually easy fixed its almost always drivers or software itself. A bad workmen blames his tools as they say. I would make your own thread by the way keeps problems seperate or wait and see what happens here and if it doesnt fix yours as well then start a new topic not like it costs money or anything.

So just to check you both have the ATI catalyst 5.11 drivers and have windows xp sp2 fully patched and up to date and( a biggy with catalyst drivers) have reinstalled the .net framework 1.1 from the microsoft site.

ijhobson

ijhobson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yeah the fully patched windows is the problem!
The version of xp i have been running has recently started to crash after automatic updates.
I got my hands on the most recent version of windows xp and did a fresh install. The games all work fine now.

Edited by ijhobson, 23 November 2005 - 11:57 AM.

Hydrohume

Hydrohume

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks - I shall try uninstalling/installing the .net framework 1.1 from Micosoft.

Thanks again for your help.

Edited by Hydrohume, 23 November 2005 - 02:15 PM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
microsoft has released framework 2.0 just recently. if the 1.1 is causing problems try downloading the latest version.