Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Media Center quirk

• Please log in to reply

grumpe

grumpe

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Last Spring I picked up a gateway with XP media Ctr loaded. It was cheap and is more than my kids need to meet their needs. It does do one quirky little thing that is annoying. When shutting it down I often have to click on Run, Turn Off Computer twice to get it to shut down. This also happens frequently wehn logging off one user to go into another user. I run McAffee, SPybot, and Adaware just like on my non media center PC. Never pops up anything so am reasonably sure it is not that.

It is on a wireless linksys system which has had some issues. Mainly loosing connection if you let the PC sit for a while and have to log back in. Have received a couple of error messages linked back to the linksys software too but those seem to be resolved.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Eric

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as far as your shutdown and user switching issue...it sounds like there may be a process hanging.....does this happen every time you shutdown..or switch users? or is it every so often?

grumpe

grumpe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
It used to happen basically every time. Now I would say thirty percent of the time. It si kind of weird. Never have crashes or other failures.

The kids mainly use it for games, internet (PBS, Disney etc) and email (limited as they are young).

Eric

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

grumpe

grumpe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Will do.

Thank you for the PROMPT relpies!

Eric