Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows me and xp

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

i've tried. my Cd-Rom drive isnt working. The computer is not recognizing it.

Howdy:

Your cd-rom drive has to be set as the first boot device in BIOS (setup) in order to boot from the cd !! Is it??

Also, unless the XP cd is an original and not one you or someone made for you (totally different setup procedure), then the option to boot from the cd will be non-existant!!

Murray

Advertisements

brettdaman

brettdaman

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
floppy drive should be your A drive, no jumpers on that drive. your primary harddrive or boot drive should be your C: drive and unless you have a second harddrive installed then the C drive can be on master or cable select. D drive im assuming is your cd rom drive and should be on its own IDE cable in the secondary IDE slot.

You shouldnt need to enter BIOS for boot device config unless you changed that previously. Your first boot device should be A:(floppy or removeable device) second should be C:(primary hdd) and the third boot D:(cd-rom drive or Optical drive)

What you can do is boot form your ME floppy and at the A: prompt type FDISK and hit enter
this will give you the fdisk menu, there you can choose to delete partitions and create partitions other wise instead of FDISK you can type FORMAT C: which will wipe your C: drive clean

chelzii

chelzii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ill work on that.
but my Xp Disk is a disk that someone made for me.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

ill work on that.
but my Xp Disk is a disk that someone made for me.

That's what I was afraid of.. We do not provide support for illegal software..

I assume they gave you the key code to go along with it..

Suggest you get a legal copy and use that to boot from the cd-rom and your install should proceed with no problems..

Once you have that in your possession, simply PM me and I will re-open this thread..

Until then, it is closed for illegal software..

As long as your ME version is legal, suggest you follow brentsaman's instructions to reload ME..

Just start a new thread dealing strictly with re-installing ME..

Murray