Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

its my first time and im not sure im doing it right... =/

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
ok all the parts are here i put the thing together averything pluged in im sure where it needs to be.

I power up fans kick in led lights lite up the monitor doesent go on and there is a beeping noise like a truck backing up.

i pop in the cd that came with the mobo hit reset and monitor kicks in there was some settings options i selected to skip and exit.

now comes a prompt for the boot disk now im not sure what this is all i have is the mobo cd and a win xp cd not even a flopy drive so i pop in the win xp cd nothing hapens.

Im prety sure the beeping never stoped the whole time i put the mobo cd back in turn the pc back on and it happened the power flickered on for a sec and off it goes no fans no lights nothing.

now whenever i turn it on it spins on and off then nothing unless i unplug then plucg back and still it only powers on for a sec then its off the light on the mobo is on whenever there is power bot nothing else i realy hope i didnt kill the pc already.

I unpluged the case fans all other parts other than the power, monitor, vid card, cpu, mobo and mem still same, realy worried now hopefully someone can shed some light on this situation.

I moved the core parts to a new box i had laying around 550W power suply 100 more than the other one and its powering up all the fans are working inclooding the video card fan, though the monitor isnt going on. also getting 3 beeps one long and 2 short beeps.

heres the parts

Asus P4S800D X 478 ATX
1GB PC3200 400MHz DDR 64x8 Dual Chanel Capable Rhamzes w/heatsink
CPU Intel P4 2.4A 533M 478/1MB R
5500FX 256MB Geforce video card

Edited by firsttimebuilder, 11 November 2005 - 11:39 AM.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G firsttimebuilder

First thing I think we ought to do, is rule out the possibility that the cpu is overheating. Have you doubled checked that the heatsink is correctly fitted & is secure? Was the cpu fan definately spinning when the system powered on? Are you using a heatsink/fan that came supplied with the CPU or one that you bought seperately? If so, is it rated high enough for the CPU?

If you're sure that all of the above things are OK, then try the following :

1. Disconnect the ATX power connectors from the PSU to mothebroard then remove any PCI cards etc, internal USB/Firewire cabling, all drive cabling (including floppy disk, CD, HDD) and disconnect any external device except monitor & keyboard.

2. You should be left with just the CPU+heatsink/fan, ONE stick of RAM, video card. Reseat the video card, making sure it is fully & evenly inserted in the slot.

3. Next, with the power still disconnected, move the Clear CMOS jumper (labelled CLRTC1) to the clear position (pins 2-3). After 30 seconds, move the jumper back to pins 1-2 (normal).

4. Reconnect the main (20 pin) ATX power connector to the motherboard. Make sure you also have the 4 pin ATX12V1 square power connector plugged in to the motherboard.

Power the system up again & let me know what happens.