Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tracking IP addresses

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

yarnaholic1963

yarnaholic1963

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello there! I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct section or not, but I need to know if there's a way I can track IP addresses to specific users and not just the server (I assume this is what the IP leads to) or domain name... I have a blog and I was curious to see who's reading it so I signed up for a service (sitemeter) that would allow me to have access to the viewers IP addresses. I now see that the IP addresses don't do much for me as it appears they only lead me to the users ISP or something similar to this. Is there anything I can do to go further than just the isp/domain or whatever the ISP typically leads me to? Please help.

Thanks in advance!
Yarnaholic

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Not without a court order.. The best you can do is the ISP..

Murray

yarnaholic1963

yarnaholic1963

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
But not all ISP's are local to the user are they? For instance, you could have a user in NY with their ISP located in Arizona.... correct? Is there any way to at least get within the same city or state?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
No..

Murray

yarnaholic1963

yarnaholic1963

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Is it possible to find the IP if I know their work email address?

Avohir

Avohir

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,002 posts

Is it possible to find the IP if I know their work email address?

no, and now you're treading into the grey area of privacy. We wont help you stalk someone who doesn't want to be found

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
without a court order it's not possible to get much information from those ips

yarnaholic1963

yarnaholic1963

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well, I'm certainly not wanting to stalk anybody. I'm just interested in knowing if a particular person is reading my blog or not. Sheesh.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
we're not trying to suggest that you are stalking anyone...or doing anything illegal...it's just a simple fact that with the way the internet works...you cannot get someone's machine ip address unless you get a court order for that info from the isp....if someone does in fact subscribe to an ISP that is based in a different location than the one that they live in....they would still probably have a local ip from the isp..i would doubt that anyone would want to pay long distance charges for that connection....so..in short..it's not possible to do what you want to do...

yarnaholic1963

yarnaholic1963

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Truth is that I already know where this person lives (it's my kids' step-mother) and I'm just wanting to know if SHE's invading MY privacy (well, sort of) by reading my blog. Kind of funny that y'all would perceive it as the other way around. Another question however, is that one of the "features" on the site meter allows me to see the distance of the person reading my blog (in addition to their IP). Do you think this distance would be the user distance or the ISP distance? If I can just get an idea of where the "reader" of the blog is located I can probably figure out if it's her or not. But honestly, if I wanted to stalk the woman, I'd just drive down the road and show up at her house. No thanks!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well....here's a couple issues.....we are not assuming you are doing anything illegal or trying to do anything illegal..but if we don't treat you as such...then the pople who ARE doing things illegal will benifit from anything that you learn...i appologize if any of the tone in this thread sounds persecutorial, or angry...or as if we think you are a criminal...it is not our intent at all....we mereley want you to understand that it's not possible to find the information that you are requesting...without legal action...it's the law...protects us all (even the criminals)

by posting something on a blog....it become by default common knowledge...it is no longer your property..so..she's not invading your privacy because no assumption of privacy can be derived from a blog..

i would assume that distance would be the distance to the ISP..

once again...if any of our tones in this thread are offensive or sound angry or..anything to that effect...i appologize as it was not the intention of anyone participating in this thread currently (i hope i know murray well enough to be able to speak as to his intent in this thread)

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You're doing just fine dsenette !!

:) :tazz:

Murray

yarnaholic1963

yarnaholic1963

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I completely understand why "one" would need to be careful but yes, the tone was a bit accusitorial by "Murray". Thank you however, Dsennete for explaining and apologizing for Murray.

kalele

kalele

• Pip
  • 8 posts
i have statcounter.com on my blog and it logs IPs and you know what city,state they're in.

Edited by kalele, 11 November 2005 - 02:23 PM.

yarnaholic1963

yarnaholic1963

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi Kalele! I'm afraid that the city and state is for the ISP only and not the user :-( At least that's how it appears. But thanks a lot for the info!