Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

please help

• Please log in to reply

gypsywomanpa

gypsywomanpa

• Pip
  • 6 posts
<_< I am working on my dad's pc. It's an older packard bell that my sister gave to him. There was a ton of junk eating up memory. Not only was it very slow, but it kept freezing. It had win 98 installed. I unistalled some programs that he didn't need and tried to run a scan disk. The message was there are numerous errors on the hard drive. Then it froze while running scan disk. When I tried to re-start, a black screen comes up and the only message: operating system not found. I tried to restart again and entered the set up to restore defaults and it keeps saying operating system not found.

So how can I reload windows if I can't get to c or d drive??

I don't know if this is doable. I told my dad he may have to get a new pc, unless you can help me.. Thank you in advance for any info is appreciated.

thanks susan

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
HI
welcome to geekstogo
If your looking to just reinstall windows all you need to do is bootup with a bootdisk and format then restall windows if this is what your looking to do repost and I can write a step by step for you.
<_<

gypsywomanpa

gypsywomanpa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you!!! Yes that is what I want to do. Thank you way much.
<_<

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
do you need a step by step on how to do a reinstall with a formatting?
<_<

gypsywomanpa

gypsywomanpa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
[COLOR=green]Whatever you think is best. When I turn on the computer it takes forever to go thru the detecting mouse, detecting keyboard etc Then it goes blank and it's a black screen with white letters no operating system can be found.
So I need to reboot like you said and I don't have a disk or know how to do one. So whatever you suggest is what I will try.

Thank you very much

<_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Here's a link to a very comprehensive guide:
http://www.worldstar.../shared/rr1.htm

gypsywomanpa

gypsywomanpa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
<_<
Thanks I will try this and let you know what happens..

susan

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
If there's something you're unsure of, please ask!