Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Home SP2 Limited or no connectivity

• Please log in to reply

Acad guy

Acad guy

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have 2 computers connected to the same router, both win982e, both able to access the Internet... or at least they were. This computer which is still running win982e still can. The problem is with my other computer.

I purchased Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade which included Service Pack 2 and attempted to install it over the win98. It didn't appear to work quite right so I formatted the hard drive and installed it clean. (This actually brought on other problems where I ended up making 6 XP Installation floppies only to find that they weren't even compatibe with the XP CD I just bought yesterday, but that's another story!) Anyway, I finally did install XP, and using NTFS as opposed to FAT32, I even have a pinball game I can play now! ~But~, I can't establish any network connections.

My Local Area Connection says "Limited or no connectivity" when my TCPIP is set to obtain IP automatically.

On the otherhand, if I set my TCPIP with a static IP like (192.168.0.2), it says "Connected", but even then I can't seem to be able to ping it from my other computer which I programmed as (192.168.0.1). In any case, I need the TCPIP to obtain its IP automatically.

Besides not being able to surf, my computer also appears to hang whenever I change my TCP settings, to the point that I can't always end the unresponsive task. I think it's stuck in the background trying to acquire that network address. It also fails to repair the TCP, and the cmd prompt hangs when I do a /release.

Searching through Google it appears that this "Limited or no connectivity" is a very common problem that began with SP2 and which is affecting many people with DSL / Cable Internet etc, regardless of NIC or router.

I have tried running this "WinXP_EN_HOM_BF.EXE" and made an accompanying change in the registry, but no luck. I've even been to the MSKB but didn't seem to find anything there - mind you I'm not a pro.

Basically, I know the hardware works because it was working yesterday when I had win982e. So I figure it has got to be WinXP or perhaps the drivers it installed for my DLINK530 NIC.

Is there now a known fix for this problem. If not I will simply put the CD back in the box, return it to the store and wait for the next version on windows...

Thanks for all

Guy

Edited by Acad guy, 11 November 2005 - 03:55 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Probably better to install XP Drivers

http://www.dlink.com/search/?qry=530+

Acad guy

Acad guy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I went to that site, DLINK, and copied drivers. But XP doesn't recognise it!? Am I doing it right?

I clicked on Update Driver button
Selected "No, not this time" --- can't access Internet
Selected Install from List
Selected I will choose driver
Selected Have disk

I then browsed to the floppy and selected NETDLKR5.INF but it says the specified location does not contain information about your hardware.

BTW, I took out the NIC from computer and it's a DFE-530TX Rev-A3-1

In the list of compatable hardware, there are 2 listings:
- D-Link DFE-530TX...
- VIA Compatable...

When I select either, the wizard says please wait but nothing happens except for the picture of pages being copied from one folder to another. After a few minutes I end task.

But still when I view the driver details it says fetnd5.sys VIA Technologies Inc 2.66

Any idea...

Guy

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I got 5 files from here

http://www.dlink.com...pid=122#drivers

You can get the installation guide there as well

Acad guy

Acad guy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I had downloaded version 5397 there (which says it contains the drivers for XP, 98, etc,...)

That 605 KB self extracting file is "dfe530TX+_driver_5397.exe".

I copied it to a floppy to transfer it to my XP computer and copied the file to a folder there.

I then ran the file which generated several folders and files within that folder.

I had pointed to the Winxp folder when attempting to update the driver. This folder contained 3 files:
- DLKRTS.SYS
- NETDLKR5.INF
- NETDLKRN.CAT

I apreciate your help
Thanks,
Guy

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It runs now?

Acad guy

Acad guy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Unfortunately not. I think I'm going to re-install XP from scratch just for the heck of it.