Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help Reseating Memory of Dell Inspiron 1000

• Please log in to reply

The Slash

The Slash

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm not real familiar with hardware type stuff, and I'm not sure where to start. Does anyone know how to do this? :tazz:

Edited by The Slash, 11 November 2005 - 04:00 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just turn the machine off, unplug it, ground yourself, open the case...take the memory out and put it right back in...there are two tabs on either end of the ram that you have to push down to get the memory out..and it's not fully seated until those tabs click back in when you push the ram back down

The Slash

The Slash

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well, it looks like I can't, according to what Dell said. They covered the module so that the customer can't replace it. :tazz:

Edited by The Slash, 11 November 2005 - 06:02 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
If you flip the laptop upside down, you should see the memory compartment cover in one corner of the laptop. There will be a screw that keeps the cover in place. If you remove that screw & lift up the cover, you should gain access to the memory modules.

Remember to remove the laptop's battery first as well as the power cable!

mantle7

mantle7

• Pip
  • 1 posts

If you flip the laptop upside down, you should see the memory compartment cover in one corner of the laptop. There will be a screw that keeps the cover in place. If you remove that screw & lift up the cover, you should gain access to the memory modules.

Remember to remove the laptop's battery first as well as the power cable!

The problem with the Inspiron 1000 is that they have taken the 1st slot and actually "fixed" the memory in place.

Adding the second stick can be done as stated above, flipping it over and unscrewing the latch to expose the memory banks and adding memory to the additional slot. You have to have someone who's Tech-Savy to take out the memory from the first slot.

When you do this,remember it will only show 448 megs because the video use's the additional memory.

I thought i had a bad stick until someone explained it to me.