Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Admin User

• Please log in to reply

mizzouboo17

mizzouboo17

• Pip
  • 9 posts
How do you get rid of the Admin User in XP if you forget your password?

Advertisements

mizzouboo17

mizzouboo17

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Is it possible to block the making of a new Admin user in XP?

customcomp

customcomp

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
if that is the only admin user its impossible :tazz:

mizzouboo17

mizzouboo17

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Surely there is a way to remove it. Why would you be able to put something on your computer without being able to remove it?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Well for one, you shouldn't put a password in something where you will forget it. I only use approximately three different passwords for items that need passwords. That way I won't forget.

But anyways, to your problem. When you refer to the Admin user, are you refering to a named account that you created or what?

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 11 November 2005 - 07:39 PM.

mizzouboo17

mizzouboo17

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Here's the deal: Someone thought that they would be smart and put a user account on my computer under the name Administration, it is password protected and that account is the only account in which I can add/remove programs, printers, etc. I need to know how to get rid of it w/o knowing the password because I can not get them to tell me.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You are referring to the Administrator account that can only be accessed in Safe Mode?

Fenor

customcomp

customcomp

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
ok go to control panel then users and click on the account you want to delete then select delete account. as long as you are log on as an administrator it will work.

mizzouboo17

mizzouboo17

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yes, but when I try to access it in Safe Mode it is still password protected

mizzouboo17

mizzouboo17

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
That is the problem, I can not log on as Administrator

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Do you have your Windows XP cd handy?

Fenor

mizzouboo17

mizzouboo17

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
No, I am not at the computer that I am talking about.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Well the only way that I've found, that doesn't cost money to buy a third party program to retrieve it, is to do a REPAIR INSTALLATION of windows. You can use the link in my signature as a guide on doing this. All your programs will still work after doing this and you won't lose any files or settings. All this does is replace the operating system files (C:\WINDOWS). It will also reset the Administrator account password to nothing. You will have to redo all windows updates after doing this.

Also keep in mind that some OEM versions of Windows XP don't allow you to do a repair installation. If that happens, borrow another copy from a friend/family member.

When you do have Windows repaired, what I suggest you do is put a password on the Administrator account yourself with a password you won't forget. That way no one can change the password without knowing what the current password is first.

Fenor

mizzouboo17

mizzouboo17

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank You so much for your help. I will try that.

edhalfdead

edhalfdead

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
mizzouboo17, Another way is to disable all passwords by:
going to the start menue, hit the run button, type in: "control userpasswords2" (without the") then press enter
Remove the checkmark in user must enter a user name and password.
That should take care of that problem. The other person on the otherhand... nevermind ,that will just get you in trouble...ed :tazz: