Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New compter Problems

• Please log in to reply

FGM

FGM

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I got a new computer today from tiger and i tried to install xp on it. I got thruogh the partetion and then i started the format it got to one percent then and went to zero then the computer shutdown and wont turn back on . :tazz:

I am bummemd please help me out

Thanks
FGM :)

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi FGM!

What are the spec's of your new computer and what is the wattage on the power supply you are using? Is everything new? Did you build it yourself? Are there any parts you used from an old machine, like DVD/CD drive, hard drive, etc..?

Post that information and I will be better able to help you.

Fenor

FGM

FGM

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
No every thing is brand new

the exact computer can be found
here
I got another stick of ram identical to the first one and a new 120 gig hard drive which can be found here

thanks

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
That is just a barebones system which contains no processor, hard drive, memory. You said you purchased a 120GB hd and a stick of ram, but what did you purchase for the processor?

And 300W is awfully small for a P4 board. Should be 400W minimum.

Fenor

FGM

FGM

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
o gez that is the wrong one umm...i have a p4 yes i think they took the one i have off i cant find it...NOw it si saying it cant find the hdd?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Try disconnecting everything from the IDE channels except your hard drive, unpluggin the IDE cable and power plugs from your cd-rom drive(s). Make sure that the hard drive is jumpered correctly to be a MASTER and then turn your computer back on and go into the bios and see if the HD is listed.

Fenor

FGM

FGM

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
ok it is not what now?

and thanks for the help

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Try switching the IDE cable with the one that worked that allowed your CD-ROM drive to appear in the BIOS.

Fenor

FGM

FGM

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
nope

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Okay, lets try resetting the bios. Unplug the power cord from the back of the computer. Locate the CMOS battery (it's shiny stainless teel about the size of a nickel). Take it out. Leave it out for a good 5 minutes, hitting the power button every once in a while to make sure that everything is cleared. Then put the CMOS battery back in. Plug an IDE cable into the PRIMARY IDE channel and attach it to the hard drive in question as well. Then turn on the computer and go into the BIOS and see if the hard drive is there.

If it isn't listed after this then the hard drive is most likely defective and you will need to get it replaced.

Fenor

FGM

FGM

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Alrght thanks fenor have a good one

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Did it detect your hard drive after doing what I suggested? Please post back on whether it worked or not so other people that have the same problem you are having, have a possible solution to their problem.

Fenor