Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

norton internet security 2005

• Please log in to reply

DrPandaLove

DrPandaLove

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
ok i'm real new at this... but here's my questions...

When norton alerts me that one of my programs is trying to reach the internet, what should I select? automatically configure or permit? do they both do the same thing?

I've also been having a lot of trouble with just random programs trying to log onto the internet. I tell norton to automatically configure but it still is unable to get through. the programs are unable to get through and get stuck and i'm unable to "end process" through the task manager. I click end process but it won't go away. as a result of norton not letting certain programs reach the internet, i go to firewall and "configure." From there i select all the ".exe" programs that are available and allow them to access the internet... but still no luck. Programs like mozilla thunderbird and outlook express both are examples of this. So if there is anyone out there who can make a suggestion? i'm going nuts manually restarting my computer over and over again and trying all these different things. Is it possible to reset norton so that all the programs i added manually are removed so i can start fresh? thanks a lot to everyone who take the time to read my noobish post. lol and thanks to those who leaves suggestions.

PS: norton refuses to let Aol Instant Messenger to directly connect. im only able to do it when i shut off norton. anyone have a remedy for that too?

Thanks again!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open Norton, options, firewall, configure, programme access control to set the ones you can trust to permit all

DrPandaLove

DrPandaLove

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
wow.. so it was that easy huh... boy do i feel dumb... thanks a lot :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Keep it to programmes you know are trustworthy