Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant Download Anything

• Please log in to reply

Yvonne707

Yvonne707

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
First off i restored from the Compaq Disc we had since it would not let us onto windows due to the constant restart. It did not have an option for restoring to a previous point, just restore to factory condition.
After restoring this we tried to download DirectX, SP2, and various other things to come to the same conclusion.

The box would pop up not having a save to, open, or run option. It just looked like it was downloading. It also did not have a transfer rate, estimated timer, or a download to thing at the bottom. 5 sec later a window would pop up saying

**IE cannot download (insert files). IE was unable to open this internet site. It is either unavailabe or cannot be found. Please try again later.**

This is happening with every download. We have tried to download other browsers to try there, but no luck downloading those either. We are pretty much at a loss of what to do.

We have a compaq x07 gaming pc
Windows XP (i guess sp1 since the factory restore which didnt happen when we got a new hard drive and put that disk in)
Internet Explorer (which for some reason has lost its history option because everything is set up correct but it wont show a history of where all i have been today)

Now i did a google on it and it said that the Download manager may be corrupted. My main thing is i have no other Browser to download anything needed and our computer did not come with a floppy drive. It is a Compaq X07 Gaming PC. I am first off wondering if anyone else may have had a problem like this and if so what is the work around for it.

Answers to questions you may ask...Yes i am on administrater, Yes i have everything checked correctly on the internet security stuff, No there are no firewalls.

Another thing that bothers me is that the history is not working properly either. No matter where i go on here it is not recording it in the history section. I think i also may have a faulty IE, but cant fix that either since i cant download....AHHHHHHHHHHHHH :tazz:

Sorry the post is so long, i was just trying to cover all the bases so the questions wouldnt get asked over and over again. Thx in advance.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you get this with Microsoft Update

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

Yvonne707

Yvonne707

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
yes i do..i get it with everything i did try that ealier today and it couldnt even finish because i didnt have the activex control and cant download it

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you can stand it, re-run the recovery and then go direct to Microsoft Update to get the new version of Windows Installer

Yvonne707

Yvonne707

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Beat ya to it. we did the restore last night and after much frustration i did it again this evening hoping it had just accidentally skipped something during the initail restore. The results came out the same.

I really really hate to have to go and get another XP disc and reinstall it that way because just 4 months ago we lost a hard drive. We think it was already having major problems when we tried to reformat and it came up that the recovery partitions were missing. It took compaq 2 months (yep thats right 2 long long months) to get another hard drive put in it for us. So reformatting really scares me. I do not want to ever have to deal with them again and i dont want to lose a hard drive we have only had for a couple of months.

We do have an extended warrenty thru best buy and I am considering just returning the darn thing with all of the problems we have had. Im just not sure if they will take it back if it isnt a hardware issue. To think we spent over 3k for it just makes me so mad.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
An OEM XP CD will be 50 GBP / 75 USD which would allow you to have a clean start, after clearing the drive using the write zeros to drive option with the hard drive manufacturer's utility

If best buy take it in and then say it isn't a warranty item, it will probably cost more than the disc

Check the disc is a Bronze / Gold colour with Genuine Microsoft on it

It is an added expense but against it being in a shop for two months, and the 3K you have already spent, it will be a good move long term

Yvonne707

Yvonne707

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ya know i was just talking to my boyfriend about that =) glad we are on the same page tho. I really do think it has to be a software issue because i have never had this happen and havent seen any post where they have actually gotten it fixed and told how to. Thx for the info and if anyone else has any suggestions do feel free to post. I will keep checking back and IF i do find something that works i will def post it up for everyone.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot to check the drive

An XP CD would let you run sfc /scannow to check the system files, pretty sure your set up won't but you could try this

Yvonne707

Yvonne707

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
sorry but i really dont understand what that means What will this actually do...

Also another question. Isnt Internet Explorer supposed to be in ur Add/Remove programs? I cant seem to find anything about IE in there??

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
SUMMARY
Chkdsk (Chkdsk.exe) is a command-line tool that checks volumes for problems. The tool then tries to repair any that it finds. For example, Chkdsk can repair problems related to bad sectors, lost clusters, cross-linked files, and directory errors. To use Chkdsk, you must log on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.

You can also run Chkdsk from My Computer or from Windows Explorer.

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;315265

Go to add / remove then click Windows components on left

http://www.geekstogo...er-60-t251.html

Probably relies on running sfc /scannow

Yvonne707

Yvonne707

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ok thx..i tried it and it told me it could not be found. But i will keep searching for it. I do know there is an option to turn it on when the computer restarts again, but i will have to find it.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, all programmes, accessories, command prompt, type chkdsk /f /r (note the spaces) then it will change to unable to run but type Y to confirm for next boot and press enter then reboot

If you didn't have the spaces it wouldn't find it

ryurek

ryurek

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I recently had some similar issues with MSIE trying to run javascript and activex components. Read the results of my experience on this post here

hope it helps.