Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless network problems

• Please log in to reply

vikingsrule11

vikingsrule11

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hello,

I recently switched my internet service from cable to sprint DSL. I am trying to set up a wireless network the way that i had it set up with cable, but i cannot get the modem that sprint gave me to speak to the router. I know that the router is working fine and the modem works great when it is wired straight to the computer.
The problem is when i go from modem to router to computer I cannot get an internet connection. I tried talking to sprint tech support but they will not help because it is a third party router and Belkin is blaming sprint so I am stuck.

Here is my equipment that I am working with

P4 computer running WinXP Home

Belkin F5D6231-4 Wireless ADSL/Cable modem

Sprint Modem is a 660ME-61 series ADSL

ISP Sprint High speed DSL 5mb

I have been doing a little bit of research and found some info on the 645 series modems that sprint has but not much on the 660 series. Some of the info i have found says that the modem has to be bridged. Is this true? If so, does anyone know how to accomplish this? Any info or instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Vikingsrule

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi vikingsrule11!

When you changed from cable to dsl, did you ever turn the router completely off or did you just unplug the ethernet cable from the cable modem and plug it into the DSL modem?

Fenor

vikingsrule11

vikingsrule11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
i turned the router off and i also reset it to the factory settings and tried to configure it to the dsl.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I would suggest that you turn off your computer, modem and router. Wait 5 minutes, then turn on your modem, wait 30-60 seconds, then turn on your router, again wait 30-60 seconds and then turn on your computer. Once your computer is booted, go to START-->RUN and type ipconfig and check to make sure that your IP address is in the format of 192.168.xxx.xxx and that the default gateway is 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1

Fenor

vikingsrule11

vikingsrule11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
i tried that before and i came up with an IP Address 192.168.2.2 and the default gateway was 192.168.2.1 and i still couldnt get a connection

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Disable any firewalls (both Windows XP firewall and any other 3rd party firewall program you may have running). Try running the new connection wizard.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 12 November 2005 - 08:01 AM.