Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Virus Question

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm leaning toward a possible virus infection on my Comp. See my other post from 21 Jan for description of problems. I can't get computer to do much without freezing and having to do a hard restart. Scandisk shows no errors. I can't get AV to load or run.

If I do have a virus, will Formatting the Hard Drive and reloading Windows ME get rid of it?

Will I be able to Reload Windows ME with the Compaq Restore Disc?

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Yes most of the time you can just format the harddrive to get rid of virus, but you might also need to delete the partition b/c some virus infect the FAT. You can do this by using fdisk. You are going to need to have a Windows 98, or ME BootDisk. You can get it from BootDisk.com. After downloading run the setup, then place the floppy disk in the computer and restart. You may need to change the BIOS settings if, after restart you dont boot from the floppy. When you boot from the floppy, Boot with no CD-ROM support. type fdisk. Press Enter on the first screen, then 4, 1. You will come to a screen that will have a table with all the harddisk, and partitions in the system. If the primary disk has a extended partition you need to delete that first before you can delete the primay partition. You will need to select the primay partition, 1, type the label name(if no lable then press enter), press enter, then press Y. It will delete the partition, then you will be told that you need to restart the system. Press ESC, then press Crtl + Alt + Del to restart the system. After the system has boot from the Floppy again, select no CD-ROM support. Type fdisk again, this time you need to make a partition(Press 1, 1, Enter, Y, Enter). After its done press ESC, then restart the system. When booting from the floppy this time select Boot with CD-ROM support. When you get to A:\ type format C:. Press Y, then Enter, after its done formating dont enter a lable and press Enter. Then run the Windows ME setup form the CD. Hope that this helps.

Edited by DHooper, 23 January 2005 - 12:13 AM.