Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No signal input

• Please log in to reply

ajfore

ajfore

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I just built my first PC in late August and it was running great. I have 2 GB ram, a 180GB HD. A 2.8 GHz pentium Celeron D, a 2004 gigabyte GT mobo, and a Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce 6600 video card.
Everything was working great including the wireless internet card I have from Linksys. I thought I'd try something and maybe overclock my processor and my video card. So I tried overclocking them both at the same time a little. On restart I had nothing. THe PC would start up, all the fans would run great and lights would glow just as before but no display. Well I tried getting a new processor thinking maybe that would be the fix. When I changed out with the new processor I still had no display. So I figured I would try a new Mobo, so I got a MSI Class P4MAM2-v. Still no display. I hooked up my video card to another computer and used it just fine.
What else could be my problem???? PSU? HD?? RAM???

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G ajfore

Can you just confirm whether you are currently using the new motherboard & cpu or the old ones at the moment? What spec is the new cpu?

When you power up the system, do you hear any beeps & do the keyboard lights flash up once just after powering on?

ajfore

ajfore

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
When I start the system up, the keyboard lights will light up and the lights in the computer will come on as well. I dont hear any beeps though. I have a VU gauge on my case, and the needle jumps around alot, could that mean it may be something with the PSU? Thanks for the reply.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, couple of things to check then..
Firstly, make sure that either the motherboard has a built-in buzzer or it has the system speaker connected correctly.
Also, check the pins on the monitor's data cable to ensure that none of them are bent.

Remove everything from the board (eg drive cabling, internal USB fly cables etc) leaving just the CPU/heatsink+fan, 1 stick of RAM & video card. Clear the bios using the clear cmos jumper (labelled JBAT1 on the MSI motherboard). Make sure you disconnect the main 20pin ATX power connector from the board first, leave place the clear cmos jumper over pins 2-3 for 30 seconds, before returning it to pins 1-2.

After clearing the cmos & reconnecting the main ATX connector, also make sure you have the square 4 pin power connector plugged in as well.

Try & boot up again.

Can you also confirm for me :
If you are using the new MSI board
Which CPU you have
Re. the VU gauge - what exactly is jumping about on the gauge?

ajfore

ajfore

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I tried these steps with the Gigabyte board and now my system will get to my memory check and my IDE drives will be checked and shown to be running fine. Then I'll be asked to choose to boot from Safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, my last known good configuration, or to start windows normally. When I select any of these options and press enter my system automatically restarts and goes through the same steps.

I'm using an Intel 2.8 processor Celeron D socket 478
The MSI mobo is the PrMAM2-V series with the 8237 R chipset. But I dont intend on using it any more.
The VU gauge is a guage that tells me how much power my computer is drawing I guess, and the needle is jumping around like crazy. But I dont think that is a factor anymore either. Thanks for the replys.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi ajfore

Its possible that you may need to perform a fresh installation of windows on the hard drive. Do you have any way of backing up the data (if any) you wish to keep, either to another drive or another computer?

If so, or if there's nothing you need to keep on the drive, then I suggest you wipe (format) the drive & install Windows from scratch.

I can't guarantee this will solve the problem because it could be caused by a hardware issue instead, but it's certainly worth a go.
NB If you do decide to perform a fresh install, I advise you do so with minumum hardware installed in the system. If the install goes OK, then you can add in the remaining hardware piece at a time afterwards.

ajfore

ajfore

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Alright well I tried to boot from my CD but now after the memory test and the IDE drive check, my computer will go to a screen that says press any key to boot from CD. Before I can hit a key the mobo will beep once and the system will restart completley and go back to a memory test and IDE drive check. It will do this continusly in circles.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
In that case, it is starting to sound like this may be a power supply issue. There's very things which will force a shutdown in this way, two of the main ones are: a faulty PSU or overheating.

What power supply do you have? (Manufacturer & power output in Watts).

Try and boot into the bios. Most modern bios's have a system monitor in them which will give you the cpu & system temps, cpu core voltage & sometimes the PSU voltages as well. If your bios has this information in it, leave the system sit for about 5 mins in the bios then record the temperatures & voltages. Obviously if you notice the cpu temp getting very high (i.e 60C +) then just switch the system off completely.

Could you also tell me what other hardware you currently have in the system, e.g PCI cards, USB devices, drives etc.
Also if you have more than one stick of ram, try removing all the ram modules except the module in the first slot. If that makes no difference, trying swapping that one module for one of the others.

ajfore

ajfore

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
WOO HOO!!! ITS WORKING!!! THANK YOU SO VERY VERY MUCH SAMM. YOUR HELP WAS WONDERFUL AND I GREATLY APPRECIATE IT. THANKS AGAIN.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You are very welcome! :tazz:

Samm

illwil

illwil

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I am also having a similar problem. No beep codes or anything. Power turns all the lights and fans on and I hear can the hard drives spinning up but no Display. I've tried 3 differnt CPU's and tried switching around the RAM. The speaker is plugged in and I have cleared the CMOS. I first thought it was my video card so I went out and bought a eVGA 6800 and that didnt help anything. My computer will do the same thing (power on all lights and fans but no display and no beep codes) even after I removed all of the ram and the CPU. So with no CPU or RAM I still get no beep codes, and I know the speaker is plugged in. Any ideas?

MSI K7N2 Delta2-ISLR mobo, Athlon 1700, 1800 & 2200 tried. 420W PS

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G illwil

Could you start your own topic please & repeat everything you've posted. It gets very confusing when we try to help more than one person in a topic!

Thanks
Samm