Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Sound

• Please log in to reply

discover

discover

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Just did a clean install of Windows XP. Everything worked fine except I have no sound. I have Via Technologies AC'97 sound tied to the motherboard. I have been through the troubleshooter and found nothing wrong. The device managers says everything is working properly. I have been in the BIOS and made sure the audio setting was enabled. I have tried resetting the defaults in the BIOS. The speakers work. I have no computer sounds and no sounds from the CD. I have checked the volume for mute and found nothing. I did run a Direct X diagnostics tool and it says "your sound card does not support hardware buffering. Sounds will only play back from software buffers. " I am only a beginer and don't know what this means. At any rate, I still have no sound. Any help would be appreciated!

Advertisements

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
If this is a bought PC, then head over to the mans. website and download the lastest drivers for the sound. If not then head over to VIA Embedded Website(you are going to need the model of the motherboard) and download the lastest drivers there. Hope that this helps.

cremedies

cremedies

• Pip
  • 3 posts
You simply need to reinstall the correct drivers for your PC sound. During the upgrade, they somehow became corrupted within the registry. This is common to lose sound during about 50% of all Windows upgrades. Reinstalling them should do the trick but the sound drivers are definately where the problem resides.

discover

discover

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
This PCwas put together by Computer Reniassance. My invoice simply says sound = VIA. There are about 6 different drivers listed for XP with VIA sound. Not sure which one I need. I do know that the motherboard is an MS-6380E, KT333 with onboard sound. How can I find out what particular sound device or model came with this motherboard? I think that would tell me with driver to download.

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Download this AIDA32 and install. It should tell you the model number of the motherboard.

discover

discover

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Tried downloading the AIDA 32 file. Keeps telling me the file is corrupted and to try a fresh one. Tried 5 different times, same response. Just wouldn't work.

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Use this link to download the Belarc Advisor, install and run it. Hope that this helps.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Someone said AIDA32 had become Everest Home Edition

Everest Home Edition

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Yes, that's true. We haven't updated our download yet. I haven't had a chance to fully review Everest.

discover

discover

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Used the Belarc program and with that and the VIA website I think I found the driver. Downloaded it, but still doesn't work. Guess I'm not cut out for computer repair. Someplace else I can look for troubles, Is some other driver not working?or have I still got the wrong one?

discover

discover

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Tried something different. I dumped the earlier driver downloads and started over. Went to the device manager and unistalled all sound drivers. Downloaded new driver. Unzipped it and ran the install. That process finished, went to the device manager and I have a ? mark in the multimedia device. I downloaded driver to system 32 driver file. Run the new harware wizard and tell it to go to the system 32 driver file and it tells me there is no information in that file. I have to be loading the driver wrong. What do I need to do? :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download it to anywhere, if winzip has a default folder it unzips to let it go there, right click the folder then explore, this gives you a folder called A1u580a, right click it then explore and set up has a computer with a box, double click it and it will install from there

discover

discover

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey Guys, I have sound. I downloaded the driver to a memory stick and installed it from there. I finally have sound. Thanks for the help and the great effort.