Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fried graphics card ... please?

• Please log in to reply

Cyril

Cyril

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'd just built a lovely, new, working system last weekend.

Relevant components are:
DFI nF4 ultra-infinity
Athlon 3200 (939)
AOpen GeForce 6600
1GB PC3200 (Kingston value series)
Antec NeoHE 430W

Everything worked perfectly when I put it together, and I've been using it happily all week, through Thursday night. When I turned it on Friday evening, though, I had nothing -- no video, no beeps; just a quicky flashing power light at the front of the case. All the fans are still spinning, but that's about all that's going on.

I've reseated the video card a few times, but that doesn't seem to help; I've also tried two different monitors -- nada. I tried resetting the CMOS, also to no avail.

Interestingly, if I remove the video card completely and power up, the power light _doesn't_ flash, and I get a long-short-short-short beep off the mobo, telling me ... that I don't have video. Perhaps it's a bit sad that I see that as a good sign.

So. obviously _something_ has fried, because it all used to work and now (after a total lifetime of 6 days) it doesn't ... but is it the motherboard or the video card? If any of the above points strongly in one direction, it would be great to know -- I don't have replacements on hand to swap in for either, so I'm looking at buying new ones, getting RMAs, and all that hassle.

I'm _hoping_ that it's the graphics card that's gone to the great mid-tower in the sky, as dis/re-connecting a motherboard is a true pain in this case (an Antec P-180 -- an attractive but difficult beast). I'm a little suspicious of this graphics card, anyhow; it's fanless, and while the heatsink seems nicely contacted to the GPU, most of the other thermal pads are hovering over (rather than touchng) the chips on the edge of the board.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Since you got a beep code when you booted without the graphics card, the motherboard is probably ok. You could do another test to confirm, remove all of the ram and boot up, you should have beep codes. This would be a confirmation that the motherboard is ok. If this is the case, I would start by replacing the graphics card.