Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is adding background music copyright?

• Please log in to reply

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Ok thanks for those links!

And if you create your OWN music in like a software program like fruity loops 4 or reason 3, do you own copywright to the music you make and can you sell the music you make?

:tazz:

Advertisements

Paradox924X

Paradox924X

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Yea.. you can make your own midi's, and you don't just get a copyright automatically.. I think there' a legal process that you have to go through, but for little songs like midi files, just make it, using a program such as MidiMaker ( http://midimaker.freeweb.hu/ )
and then keep dated records of when you made it, maybe some screenshots of your WIP ( Work in Progress ) so that if anyone steals it without your permission, you can get them into legal trouble IF they don't back off when you email them politely and professionally...

Make sure there's a disclaimer with the link to your midi file.. so that they can't say that you dind't tell them it was unavailable for external usage...

Also, make sure you ask them politely and professionally before you start threatening them with legal action, since there's always a simple, easy way out of many situations...

hope this helped~!

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Yea.. you can make your own midi's, and you don't just get a copyright automatically.. I think there' a legal process that you have to go through

In the UK for original works the copyright is automatically yours, so no legal processes required. This is not the case for many other countries, including the US, which is probably complicated on a per state basis.

Edited by Neil Jones, 18 November 2005 - 06:19 PM.

Paradox924X

Paradox924X

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Wow, I didn't know that... cool bit of information.

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
So if i go on to reason 3 and make some random music and then put it on my website, i will own full copywright to it?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

So if i go on to reason 3 and make some random music and then put it on my website, i will own full copywright to it?

If its your own original piece of work, it is copyrighted to you and as things stand, it will remain copyrighted to you for the rest of your life and for 50 years after your death. After that it becomes public domain.

Paradox924X

Paradox924X

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Well, since you bothare in the UK, sure, but a note to all others that read this: This is NOT the way it works in the USA.... please check online for your area's support.

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Can you just copy peoples images and put them on your own website?

Paradox924X

Paradox924X

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
That you can do unless they have a disclaimer somewhere on their website.. saying something to the effect of:
"All content on this website is Copyright to XXXXX. Any unauthorized copying of this material is not allowed."

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Ok,

And does that include anything that they have written like news reports?

Advertisements

Paradox924X

Paradox924X

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Well, you can't copy their news reports and such unless you say:
"This material was taken from www.xxxxxxxxxx.com and we claim no right to this work"
Even then, you may have to ask them to use it on your page...

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Ok,

And if a website has like a funny flash movie like http://www.funnyjunk.com can you get their .swf files and put them on your site only for people to watch?

Paradox924X

Paradox924X

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Nope, since funnyjunk.com has official permission from the owners of the flash movies there.. You'd have to provide a link to the page on funnyjunk.com if you wanted them to watch it...
and anyways.. why would you want their .swf's on ur website? it'd suck your bandwidth, lag your server.. funnyjunk has an extremely good server because it's made to handle all the movies...

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Ahh, i see.

So if you wanted to put on someones .swf file, then you would have to ask for their permission?

Thanks!

Paradox924X

Paradox924X

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Yup, no problem. Good Luck~!
:tazz: