Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Failed to load vendorprefs ?

• Please log in to reply

Yvonne707

Yvonne707

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
This is kind of a continuation of my other post that i cant download anything, but new problems have come about. I tried what they suggested about the MSinfo32 and i am getting a message that says

Failed to load vendorprefs

After that nothing can be shown and it says it cannot collect the data.

I tried to do the %systemroot%\Downloaded Program files thing and it wouldnt even come up. Said it was not the correct name or could not be found

So what exactly does this all mean?
Any help would be appriciated. :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You should find those if you run disc clean up then view downloaded programme files

Yvonne707

Yvonne707

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
wow thx i will def have to run that when i find it..guess i better get to looking since what u told me earlier didnt work

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Start, all programmes, accessories, system tools, disc clean up

As I said before, you are probably better starting again with an XP CD

Yvonne707

Yvonne707

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
well i did the disk clean up, and its still the same. Guess i have to go and uninstall and reinstall...arg.

Now i have another question about that. I am leary to try that because of losing a hard drive in the past. If i uninstall everything and do a full restore on it, will i lose my recovery partitions? and if i cant get an XP disc, we have a 98 disc here from our old computer. Can we replace it with the 98 disc instead?

Compaq didnt send a disc with the recovery partions on it and i really dont want to lose another hard drive to it. I would really rather have the 98 on it tho seeing as how our other computer is about 5 or 6 years old and has had no problems with it.

Sorry if i have confused you and if ya have any questions, feel free to ask. And again Kieth...thx for all the help

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If it has a recovery partition on the drive, you should be able to run recovery from there, though these usually restore it to its day one condition, possibly with just XP on

If you use the hard drive manufacturer's utility to wipw the drive, the recovery partition will go, and as far as the drive is then concerned, you can load any version of Windows on it. However, it then depends on how many programmes you got with this PC, which will run with anything other than XP

If it was me, I would back up the data needed from the drive to CDR / CDRW discs, completely wipe the drive with the drive utility, install XP from an OEM XP CD, install the data from the CDR / CDRW discs